Tuesday, May 26, 2015

May 26th 2015 - Gi Beginner

Theme & Techniques: Head Lock Defense w/ Tani Otoshi, Kneeling Guard Break, Single Under Pass
Partner: Robert, Morgan

Before class Zack and I worked on the Tozi pass a little bit.  I wanted to try the lower grip and head position and I think I will play with that for a while.

Feel good about the techniques of the week.  Pretty much just focusing on getting everything right with the kneeling guard break.  Just a couple things came up as we were training.
  • When doing the throw keep your back leg straight you don't want them to sit on your knee almost do it like a walking break fall from the beginning of class
  • Crossface before stepping the leg over into mount
  • During the kneeling guard break I like to bring my shoulder up over in line where my fist is on their stomach, then make a U motion with your knee to make sure it's in the right place.
  • During the pass make the other person uncomfortable, make them want you to pass.
  • Bring their knee up to their nose and keep it there as you bring your hips around
  • Keep your head down the whole time.

Rolling: Closed Guard (4 x 2 min), Free Rolling (4 min)
Rolled With: Greg, Harvey, Zack

I ended up in deep half guard a couple times but felt a bit of paralysis from analysis.  I have some paths to take but I'm still in a phase where I'm not good at picking the best technique with the situation.  Maybe it was easier when I only had the Homer Simpson sweep and I would go right into that.  Now that I have a lot of different deep half guard techniques floating around in my head but not the best context in which to apply each technique I feel like I'm freezing up.  I'm going to have to focus in on a few things and try for them specifically.  Maybe a back take and a sweep.  He ended up stepping over my head over and over again.  Eventually he passed my guard.  From the top I fought his 2 on 1 the best I could and even stopped it the first time.  The second time I ended up in a triangle and got my knee in the right spot to pry it open but I still got choked. 

Harvey got the grips for the kneeling break but I opened my guard and put him into a scissor sweep instead.  He tried the same thing on me when he was on the bottom but I kept his knee from passing over my belly and saw that as the reason that I was able to do it to him.  So hopefully a good teaching moment.

Zack and I rolled and I started out well.  I played half guard bottom mostly.  He did eventually pass and I had to defend from side control.  I don't think I was in danger of getting submitted but I kept a close watch and prevented any collar grips.  He did attack back mount when I went to turtle and almost had a bow and arrow but luckily I got my head to the floor under his bicep. 

Office Hours Partner: Robert, Zack

Robert and I went 3 x 5 minute rounds.  Humidity was killing me.  I started out pretty strong and had some good moments through the rolling, but he mostly dominated.  I ended up in a couple of deep half guard positions and was on top half guard for a little while but was never in side control or mount.  He ended up submitting me with an americana using the brabo grip but otherwise I defended most things off.  This really made me want to work on and improve my cardio, but I'm not sure the best way to do that outside of BJJ.  Swimming is on the top of the list as something that I can do during lunch but I'm not that motivated to do it right now. 

Zack had me roll with him starting from side control.  We had a good roll but eventually I gassed out.  I attacked a kimura for a while and had kind of a back mount for a while too but couldn't complete anything.  He's been giving me quite a few compliments lately that I'm not sure I'm deserving of while at the same time tearing himself down.  I really enjoy having him and Robert at these classes because they push me to work hard.  Their games are both very different and effective at the same time which is another plus.  I'm motivated to keep grinding it out and improving.

No comments:

Post a Comment