Tuesday, September 11, 2012

September 10th - Gi (The Bees Knees)

Went to the doctor this morning and got some X-Rays on my left knee.  He said the x-rays looked good.  We talked for a bit and then he jerked my knee around.  I was a little hesitant with some of the ways he pushed but didn't feel any pain.  That made him think that it's probably not a meniscus tear and I shouldn't require surgery.  From his experience, he didn't think I needed an MRI as well.  He told me to keep doing what I'm doing.  Will Do!

Last night was another relatively small class.  Greg taught with a focus on knee on belly.  Right away I knew I was going to have some problems.  It went okay but for most of it I could only do one side.  We did a lot of reps with only 2 different techniques which I really like.  I worked mostly with Ken and David and let them do more reps on me then I'd do a couple just on my right side.  We did far side armbar and then kimura, which I hadn't worked on as a setup from knee on belly before so that was cool.

We got with partners and drilled knee on belly.  I sat out the first couple of times and then only went on the bottom with Ken.  I felt like I was doing pretty well with my regaining guard and preventing full mount.  Finally we did some free rolling and I spent the rest of the night rolling with Mike. 

I had a lot of fun rolling with him and he paid me a couple of compliments.  As usual though I get the good with the bad and he is not shy about telling me what I do wrong.  I'm thankful for that but it can be hard to hear sometimes and I've liked using the excuse of my knee lately for all of the improper things that I've been doing.  I pretty much played a form of open guard with him until he got behind me then he would just move around me whenever I attempted to turn into him.  He caught me several times, which I really didn't mind because I was playing pretty loose and just trying to relax and protect myself by working within the confines of my current game.  He gave me some really good advice on deep half guard as well as reverse dlr.

No comments:

Post a Comment