Friday, September 14, 2012

September 13th - Gi

Got to class late due to work yesterday.  After getting dressed in my new all white Fuji gi I stepped onto the mat.  Conan was working with a group of 6 or so white belts on what appeared to be guard passing and Mike was working with Gina and Sara on some butterfly sweep.  I jumped right in with the upper belt group although butterfly is probably my least doable position right now. 

I had trouble with the sweep that we were working on from both angles because it requires grabbing their ankle and then pushing on the knee with your foot.  So being on top hurt me a bit and being on bottom was difficult because I couldn't bend my knees enough.  But we worked it out a little bit and I got some reps in.  I know in a previous post I said I use my injury as an excuse for sloppy technique, but I think I was wrong and my injury does still hold me back.  However, I will continue to work to overcome it.

Next we worked on cross choke from the mount.  I've always had problems with this choke no matter the position.  I don't know if it is due to my massive forearms or what.  I liked the way Mike taught this from mount.  We would put our weight to one side then get our deep grip inside the collar.  The opposite hand would then walk it's way over and around their head and finish the x on the other shoulder or collar. From there the head goes to the floor and elbows pull back.  Once that deep collar grip was in, it seemed very difficult to defend the other hand from getting into position. 

Mike and I did a couple of three minute rounds starting from butterfly.  I think he's getting pretty wise to my game so I'm going to have to expand a little bit more.  Once he get's behind me I have a hard time facing him again. 

I rolled with Sara next and I was very impressed.  I recently watched her roll with Jerad and liked what I saw.  I could not pin her down or get a good position on her.  I was trying to stay on the bottom as well because she is so easy to crush and I didn't want to be too mean.  I eventually setup a north/south choke and was able to get her to tap. 

I rolled with Gina for just a short while because her back was a little injured.  I started off trying to do a bull rider pass a couple of times.  I was a little successful but this pass generally leads to knee on belly, which is not comfortable for me.  I eventually tried to roll her over and take bottom but she wasn't having it and seemed content to play guard.  We kind of ended it there.

No comments:

Post a Comment