Monday, November 14, 2011

November 13th - No Gi (Silence)

I was excited to once again make a Sunday No-Gi class.  I was however worried when Gina and I were the only ones there but people started showing up and we ended up having 8 of us or so.  The women's Jiu-Jitsu class was going on at the same time and they were working on throws with a big crash pad.

The theme of the day was mostly working on dealing with someone standing up in your guard.  We did a roll to an ankle pick, a knee bar, pushing with both knees, pushing with the foot, and my favorite threading one leg and then taking the back.

While drilling with Justin and Adam on one of the techniques, we heard a scream and the room fell instantly silent.  Then Gina's daughter was saying that she broke her mom's wrist.  Sara who is a medic training to be a fire fighter or something like that was over there in a flash.  We eventually found out that she was being thrown and stuck her arm out to catch herself and her wrist turned out to be broken.  I'm sure everyone there had sympathy for her, an injury like that halts your Jiu-Jitsu training as well as affects your ability to work, etc.  They took care of Gina quickly and we continued drilling techniques. 

We drilled some kimura/americana drills which was very informative.  We tend to do the kimura while staying in side control.  While I know this works I'm still puzzled why every time I see someone do it in MMA they step over the head.  I asked the question and I hope Conan didn't get miffed.

For open mat I rolled with Adam first.  We spent a lot of time trying to pass to a good position on each other.  I did 2 really good things in this match I got in for a moment in a guillotine choke and I also defended a omma plata by rolling the opposite way to a single leg really smoothly.  However, after that I had him in turtle and he's very strong there.  I really don't remember how he finished me, it must have been an americana because that's what usually happens lately.

I went with Mike a couple of times after that.  It was an awesome battle.  It seems to be more and more difficult for us to pass each other.  There was a point when he had me in a kimura and an inverted triangle.  I was able to keep my arm in between my legs and when he let go of it I was able to get free.  There was also a point that I was stacking him and I took one of his heels across my jaw.  It didn't hurt then but there is some discomfort while chewing now.  I had set up a darce choke really well at one point and he started to get free by going north/south I moved into the north/south choke and felt his chin was in the right place.  He flopped around quite a bit but I was pretty confident that I had it.  He eventually tapped.

We went again but we didn't get to finish.  I did get an x-guard sweep that I wasn't able to complete to side control but it was pretty smooth. I ended up in side control in the end which I fought hard for but Conan told us to quit for the next class.


No comments:

Post a Comment