RNC Defense with O-soto gari
Video: Top 4 Jiu-Jitsu Techniques to Escape Rear Choke
Defending the head lock with osoto gari - START BJJ Academy
Self Defense RNC to Osoto Gari and Armbar
This is used when you get bent backward during a standing headlock or RNC. Putting your hand on their wrist and keeping them from connecting their hands is paramount. After circling their leg, take small steps to line your hips up. As you turn keep pressure down on their shoulder to keep their weight on that leg before you sweep it.
Back Mount: Escape
Video: Highest Percentage Rear Mount Escape for Gi and No-Gi
Such an important technique that I use often. Here are some tips:
- Start with getting your head to the side you want to escape to. Make your opponent uncomfortable.
- Use your feet to push your hips above their hips and get your shoulders on the mat.
- Continue to defend from chokes and be prepared to take half guard.
Bonus: BJJ back escape to deep half (skateboard escape)
Video: Clark Gracie with Rear Naked Choke Details
One of the quintessential techniques of BJJ and by far the most finished submission in MMA, also called Mata Leao (Lion Killer). Besides back mount I've been hitting this from crucifix lately as well.
I suggest watching the video below, because the squeeze is super important. Trust me, it's a flat Earth free video.
Some tips on this technique:
- In the back mount position, protect your choking hand with the underhook hand.
- Your harness grip is more important than your hooks. Keep it tight using your elbow and chin.
- Trapping an arm is preferable.
- The main goal is to squeeze your forearm and bicep together hit the sides of the neck.
- Use your back muscles to thrust your chest forward.
Bonus: Eddie Bravo - How to develop a strong rear naked choke squeeze