Tuesday, August 15, 2017

August 2017 - Week #5 Technique Companion

Theme & Techniques: Double Leg, Mount: Cross Collar Choke, Upa

Double Leg
Video: Double Leg Takedown - BJJ Blue Belt Requirements Technique #1

I'm slowly feeling better about pulling off this technique and I have hit it in rolling more often lately.  Especially after working more stand-up in preparation for Worlds. Also, Nick is very good at double legging and we do it often in the MMA class.

A thing that I need to focus on is not trying to setup this takedown from too far away.  So many times I've attempted to shoot from 5 feet away and got stuffed repeatedly.  I still need to improve on it but I'm starting to get it. 

Cross Collar Choke
Video: Roger Gracie, Cross Collar Choke: Jiu-Jitsu Magazine, Issue #27.

Jerad inspired me to get better at this technique.  He started hitting it on me and has a pretty good game using this choke setup now.  I'd almost rather be in his back mount than his mount sometimes. With all of that said I find it to still be a difficult submission to setup,  but it often will help setup other attacks.

Important things that I've learned:
  • Don't attempt to choke until your head is on the floor.  This is how Greg does it.
  • If you think your grip is deep enough, you're probably wrong.
  • Choking someone can be a psychological battle as well as a physical one.  Don't start your choke at 100% and then figure out your grip is not right and relax and try again.  Your opponent will think they've weathered the storm.  I use percentages, I'll start at maybe 40% and begin to move up 10%.  So it always feels like it's getting worse.
Bonus: Cross Choke Mastery Seminar (Rener Gracie)

Upa Escape
Video: This Week In BJJ Episode 61 with Rickson Gracie Part 4 of 4

I only really learned how to do this technique well after Greg did it to me during positional sparring. He does this technique very explosively and times his bridge, his step over and trapping the arm at almost the same time.

I also like the point Rickson brings up in the video about moving your head like a back roll.

Beware of your arms though, it's easy to get caught with an armbar if you let them stray from your chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment