Tuesday, August 1, 2017

July 2017 - Week #3 Technique Companion

Theme & Techniques: O-Goshi, Cross Collar Choke from Closed Guard, Armbar from Closed Gaurd

O-Goshi
Video: Judo basics: O goshi, judo takedowns

I don't think I've figured out how to setup this throw yet.  To get the underhook often feels so far away, and if I do get it they pull their hips way back.  I really need to improve my kazushi to get them up on the balls of their feet to get under their base.  It's a work in progress.

Cross Collar Choke from Closed Guard
Video: Roger Gracie, Cross Collar Choke

This is one of those techniques that I don't finish very often but occassionally it presents itself.  I would even say it took me a while to get good enough to complete it while drilling.  Like Roger mentions in his video above  the wrists play a big part in it.  Try not to contort your wrist around your opponent's neck.  They need to be sharp to complete the choke.

Bonus
Kurt Osiander move of the week - Choke from Guard

Armbar from Closed Gaurd
Video:  Closed Guard Submission Basic Armbar

Posture control is the key to being successful with this technique.  A common mistake with this and triangle is that you want to remain flat on your back as you turn.  Don't try to shrimp into the armbar, your legs need to keep them from withdrawing their arm.

Another important factor is learning to use a bite with the leg over their head.  If you ar a beginner avoid crossing your feet during the armbar as it could create some unnecissary space.  Also I'm and advocate of kicking up into the armpit to get their weight going forward making it easier to get round their head.

Bonus
The easiest way to teach the armbar from Guard


No comments:

Post a Comment