Monday, April 17, 2017

April 17th 2017 - Week #11 Technique Companion

Theme & Techniques: O-Soto Gari, Half Guard Knee Slide Pass, Turtle Granby Roll

O Soto Gari
Video: Yamashita O Soto Gari Part 1

This is probably one of the most straight forward throws.  The problem that most people have with it is they focus more on the leg kicking part and not enough on the upper body.

Make sure you step very close to their base foot, just enough space for your leg to go through. Drive the bus pulling down on their arm and up on their collar to get them leaning on the leg you are about to kick out lean forward as your leg reaps through for the throw.

Half Guard Knee Slide Pass
Video: HALF GUARD KNEE SLIDE RECAP

Video isn't exactly how we do it.  Greg would like us to actually step on the top of their thigh if you could and also try to put your head on the other side away from the underhook as soon as you can.  It's important that you keep their leg pinned before the knee slide.  

Bonus video that I found interesting: Half Guard Pass Reverse Knee Cut

Turtle Granby Roll
Video: Couldn't find one

I have been told I'm pretty good at this technique.  It happened in stages. First I had a hard time knowing which way to turn my head depending on which side my opponent was on.  Next I focused a lot on plugging up holes in my turtle to avoid grips.  Another factor is learning how to roll under yourself instead of forward.

Finally a big step in learning the technique​ was having confidence in it.  I witnessed Greg roll through my grips several times until I believed that I could do it too.  Now my goal when I do it is to clear there grips and go.

I couldn't find a good video of the granby the way we do it, so as a bonus here are some other escape from turtle videos that I found interesting while searching:
Kurt Osiander's Move of the Week - Turtle Technique
How to Escape the Turtle and Get Safely Back to Guard

No comments:

Post a Comment