Sunday, April 2, 2017

April 1st 2017 - Open Mat & Mike's 2nd MMA Fight

Open Mat
Rolled With: Bob, Nick, Adam, John

Bob: He asked if I'd like to work on some throws but I wasn't sure since it was pretty crowded with visitors hitting pads and getting ready to fight tonight.  I asked him about foot sweeps and he gave me a good lesson with the opening the door like kuzushi.  I should ask him the name of the sweep we spent the most time on so I can watch some videos on it.

We also did some ground work and covered a lot with arm drag, escaping bow and arrow, and escaping/maintaining side control.

Nick: It's been a while since we rolled.  I felt like I did pretty well.  I was able to recover to deep half a few times and sweep.  He had me in the truck and twister for a while and I miraculously defended a calf cutter and a twister.  In the process of escaping my contact folded up in my eye and I tried to roll with my eyes closed and he Americana'd me soon after.

Adam: Had a good roll with Adam.  I had some successes with escaping his side control to butterfly and then to full guard. I worked some collar and sleeve stuff but kept getting reset.  Eventually there was a point where he went over/under pass and I went for a kimura grip at the same time.  I got the grip but he had too much weight on me to do the spin and I didn't have any guard.  Eventually he got free of it and submitted me with a kimura.  Henry and Craig were trying to tell me that I was bleeding because there was blood across my face.  It ended up being from my nose, most likely from an Adam cross face.

John: Rolled no gi with John. Went to deep half a few times and failed at taking the back from there.  I don't think we had any leg entanglements.  I did have his back at one point and switched to one leg over and one leg under with feet crossed.  John thought I could do a twister from there so I gave it a shot. We worked on some DH entries after that.

Mike's 2nd Fight

My dad got some tickets for one of the suites from his work.  I brought my wife, Craig, and his wife.  It's definitely the way to go, more private, seats were more comfortable, there was food, and great seats.

The thing that I missed was being around my teammates and the unity created when watching one of us fight.

Kodi fought first to a decision.  There were some exciting moments, mostly from the feet but he wasn't able to make something happen this time. He'll come back stronger next time.

Mike's fight was super fast. He came out in his gi with Greg and Nick in his corner. There was some feeling out between Mike and his opponent.  From what I remember Mike's opponent attempted a strike, they separated and Mike's opponent came into him and Mike put on a guillotine and then walked his guard up his back. He readjusted his position once they hit the ground and the choke got tighter.  We could read Mike's lips saying, "He's out, he's out." The ref checked to make sure and it was over.

No comments:

Post a Comment