Friday, March 31, 2017

March 31st 2017 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Week #8 Technical Stand-up, Closed Guard: Hip Bump Sweep, Kimura
Partner: Jeff
Pretty small class today but we got our work in.  Both Jesus and Jeff were in yesterday's class so we breezed through the instruction portion pretty quickly.  Only had to give Jeff a couple of pointers on hip bump and kimura about body position.  Also demonstrated how I would probably get a hand on the mat because it's not always going to work as perfectly as when we practice the wipe. 

Rolling: Guard
Rolled With: Jeff, Jesus, Conan

My mission was to hit a hip bump sweep on Jeff.  It didn't work out but came close a few times.  When his default mode is moving forward with pressure it's difficult to trick him into going back.  I did setup a kimura out of the deal so that's good.  I did feel him try to go for over/under pass a few times and let him know since we've been working on it.  From the top I tried my best to be calm and use structure to break the guard and pass. 

Jesus did some good things and worked some spider guard and almost put me in a triangle from it.  I did give him a few hints that he wanted to be more on his hip in spider guard and not centered up with his hips.

I felt like I was doing a cardio workout trying to maintain guard and then pass Conan's open guard.  He turned it up today and was just ahead of me on a lot of the exchanges.  It was super fun and a learning experience.  I think the winner between us was generally who acted first and was persistent in what they wanted.

Office Hours Partner: Jesus, Conan

Jesus asked me about spider guard after class.  I showed him the basic sweep from the knees and then said that I go to lasso generally if someone stands.  Other's in our school are far better at spider than me.  We worked on the lasso sweep a few times and I think he could work with it.

Conan let me drill some crucifix stuff and he gave me some different resistance than I'm used to which is good.  He also seemed miserable when I went for some of the chokes.  One thing that he helped me with was when I can't isolate their hand, I can put my foot on my knee until I can force their arm to be isolated.

No comments:

Post a Comment