Wednesday, March 1, 2017

March 1st 2017 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Week# 4 Standing Headlock Escape to Tani Otoshi, Kneeling Guard Break, Single Under Pass
Partner: Jess, Dave

Jerad taught the follow up of the bread cutter choke after the pass.  During drilling we discussed using analogies to help people learn techniques like me saying to put your arm like you're holding Captain America's shield.  

Tips for Techniques of the week:
  • Standing Headlock: Once you get a hold of their far arm use it to turn them as you do the trip
  • Kneeling Guard Break: Having a straight arm and keeping their hips down is so important but really difficult for beginners.  I like to align my shoulder over my fist for added pressure.
  • Single Under Pass: I like to think of my inside arm as a triangle shield.  Keep a hold of their pants and your elbow checking their thigh and don't let them pull that arm into the triangle.

Rolling: Closed Guard UDO
Rolled With: Jess, Dave, Jerad, Frank, Ben

Had some tough exchanges today.  Jess was keeping me from sweeping him pretty well and I ended up working pretty hard to get to the top on our first roll.  There was a point when Dave was in guard and I believe Jerad was starting to pass and I yelled out "Get a grip, Dave!"  I meant a collar or a sleeve not that he was losing his self control or anything.

Office Hours Partner: Jerad

Jerad and Jess rolled a bit after class and Jess setup a lapel choke that he had seen on youtube and it almost worked.  Too bad he burned his forearms out and Jerad just kind of outlasted it.  Cool to see him attempt and almost complete something that he had only seen.

Jerad and I rolled and I did some good things.  I was able to setup a z-guard while he brought his knee up to pass.  He didn't let me get to his other knee but it setup a single leg x and full x and finally an x-guard sweep.  He ended up catching me with an armbar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment