Wednesday, March 22, 2017

March 22nd 2017 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Week# 7 Seio Nage, Back Mount Lapel Choke, Guillotine from Guard
Students: John, Frank, Jess

Got to teach class today.  Had everyone drill something as the 2nd half of the warm-up, I chose crucifix.  I'm liking adding this section to the classes that I teach, I may need to include some neck exercises too though.

I taught drop seio nage after showing the standard way we teach it.  I showed it with the leg grab setup that the kids also are taught.  Everyone looked pretty good during reps.

Everyone did well with the sliding lapel choke right away so I showed the bow and arrow too and only gave out a few critiques here and there. 

Showed the guillotine as a precursor to next weeks techniques of hip bump and kimuara, as all of these techniques have the same setup.  The big tip that helped everyone was to move the hips back enough to make the space needed to get your hands together properly.  We also discussed the Marcelotine variation.

Rolling: 8 Minute Escapes, Free Rolling
Rolled With: Jess, John

Since we had a lot of time after drilling and it was on my mind from yesterday I decided to do the 8 minute escapes drill.  I believe I was defending first and did my best to not get submitted.  Jess did come close once with an armbar from mount as I executed the bridge and roll.  I was able to stack and get out of it but his intuition to attempt it was right on.  Felt good about my turtle attacks and got to crucifix a couple of times.  The last one ended up with Jess arms trapped and then he trapped my legs with his.  As I worked for the choke it put the armbar on.

Rolled with John next and he said something like "my goal is to not get choked from north/south."  I started with a z-guard and swept, but I kept it for too long and he eventually got the underhook from half guard.  He ended up in mount and I had some ground to recover.  Somewhere along the line I made it back to the top and just as I was setting up the NS choke the timer goes off so he completed his goal.

Office Hours Partner: John

We went over a lot of stuff after class, maybe teetering on over-information.  We discussed my series from 2 on 1, some stuff that I do from mount, and even some deep half stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment