Thursday, March 23, 2017

March 23rd 2017 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Week# 7 Seio Nage, Back Mount Lapel Choke, Guillotine from Guard
Partner: Bob, Frank

Greg had Bob teach the drop shoulder throw today and I was pleased.  However, he makes the floor come quickly when he throws me.  Both Bob and Frank did a good job with both chokes and there were only some minor adjustments that I made mostly with body position, elbows etc. 

Rolling: Back Mount, Guard KOTM
Rolled With: Frank, Jess, Andy, Nate, Tim, Jeff

I think I only made one grave mistake today and it was when I was setting up a choke on Jess and he almost passed my guard.  I had to recover to turtle and granby to get back to guard.  Otherwise I had a lot of success with sweeping and passing.  I probably should have went to half guard and attempted some z-guard sweeps.

Office Hours Partner: Jeff, Jess, Greg

Jeff asked to work double legs again and I did my best to show him what I know about it.  Focused on the penetration step, changing levels, keeping posture and turning the corner.  It looks like he's taken this on as a personal project to improve on. 

Rolled with Jess 3 or 4 times.  Had a good time.  I was lazy somewhere in the middle and he caught me in a straight ankle lock.  It felt like it was a little low on his body and I was going to wait it out, but there was a little pop so I tapped.  It turned out to not be anything and I wasn't in any pain.  I should have been actively defending the footlock though instead of thinking that he'd eventually let go of it.  Did some good things in the roll, had a nice spider guard sweep, attacked for crucifix from turtle but he hid his arm well so I went to the back. 

Greg wanted to work takedowns and although I gave him two rounds, my congestion didn't make me very competitive for him.  I did feel good about changing levels and moving around a bit, but it kind of felt like anything I extended myself for Greg was ready to pounce on.  I did hit a nice butterfly sweep at one point after he took me down but the rest of the times he got me with the takedown that he's been working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment