Sunday, March 12, 2017

March 12th 2017 - No Gi Beginner

Theme & Techniques: Crucifix: Setup from Turtle, Armbar, Choke
Partner: Chris C

I requested crucifix since I've been working on it lately.  It's nice to get some different approaches from others.  Chris hadn't worked on the position before so I got to help him learn it a bit.

One thing that we worked on was recovering the crucifix if they rolled over while in the seat belt.  I think the key to this is staying a bit ahead and keeping a tight harness.

Rolling: Turtle Up/Down/Out, Free Rolling
Rolled With: A lot of people

Huge class today and we had the mats full while rolling.  Everyone was super tight defending against the crucifix. I did go for the back when they hide their arm.  I did attempt and fail at the recover after getting rolled over, might need to work on that.

Had some good rolls with Chris and Matt.  I told Matt afterward that he was driving forward too much in my guard, which wasn't helping him pass. So we talked about posture and breaking the guard open before passing.

Office Hours Partner: Matt, Conan, Henry, Mike

Rolled quite a few times with Conan and felt good about some of the things I did.  We got into an arm drag battle early on that I came out on top of.  I attacked some guillotines and N/S chokes. We both took turns starting from the bottom of side control.

I joined Henry and Mike who were training with strikes from guard.  I'm really getting the hint that I don't know the best thing to do in situations with striking. Some stuff that I do is fine but there are some bad habits that get me punched in the face. The best thing that happened was when I got Mike to turtle and setup a crucifix. I wasn't able to finish but it was cool.

I asked Mike about the finer points of kimura from half guard. He gave me some good tips about getting butterfly hook or knee shield first. If they start to move over my knees then I have to push my hips out from under them.  A lot of good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment