Friday, March 3, 2017

March 3rd 2017 - MMA

Theme & Techniques: Shawn Williams' Guard
Partner: Clint


Nick is out of town for his participation in the first Combat Jiu-Jitsu competition for EBI. Awesome to have someone representing us in the debut!

We still got some work done. Mike taught the basics of SW Guard pretty much the same as he has in the no gi class but with the added dynamic of MMA gloves and avoiding punches.  The grips were definitely different. From there we transitioned to armbar, triangle, and omoplata.

Sparring: Guard Position, Stand-up
Rolled With: Clint, Cody, Henry, Mike, Jerad

Had to dig deep today during sparring, we didn't take many breaks and we all rolled with each other.

I had the most trouble with Henry, he seemed to slip right through my guard and when I attempted to snatch up a kimura he reversed it into an armbar.

I did have some success with the omoplata sweep a few times but also messed it up by going for a toe hold. I'm still having a hard time with disengaging and attempting to stand up, I have to remember that it's a desired option.

From the feet my main goal was to keep my hands up and not give away how tired I was. I used Nick's advice from a few weeks ago that you have to conserve energy and be defensive until you catch your breath.  Otherwise I had a few good kicks and felt better about my movement.





No comments:

Post a Comment