Saturday, March 4, 2017

March 4th 2017 - Open Mat

Open Mat
Rolled With: Patty, Derek M, Justin, Josh J
Game Plan: Bottom - Z-Guard, Top - Crucifix

Patty: I think we're pretty close in skill level but each with different skills.  He had me defending from bottom I'd get to turtle and he went to my back. This was tough trying to fight off his constant neck attacks. I eventually made it to deep half and swept to double unders. Then somehow we repeated that sequence.

I put him into crucifix for a while but had a hard time controlling his upper body and making the submission happen and he eventually escaped.

I ended up passing and attacking NS choke but not able to finish and came up on a guillotine. We fought from half guard for a while neither of us able to do much. He escaped and my pants were coming off and we ended up quitting the roll.

Derek: We just drilled our homework. I worked on z-guard and turtle stuff.  I'm feeling good about both. Derek seemed to appreciate the z-guard sweep and said it doesn't feel like it's inhibiting him until I'm sweeping. The ankle pick is just awesome.  The feeling for the armbar from the top is not there yet, but I do feel good about combining the choke and armbar from the bottom.

Justin: Haven't rolled with him in a while since he's been too busy for day classes.  We rolled a few times and I was able to setup the z-guard and use the ankle pick to sweep.  I setup an armbar from mount that he almost defended.

We went over some armbar defenses (RNC and Push the leg into half). I also showed him the z-guard which he seemed to like.

Josh: I was dog tired by this roll and decided to try to control the pace.  He came really close to passing my guard at one point but I worked my way back to half and then full and went for cross guard omoplata for the sweep. I went to kimura and used the kimura trap to transition to the bread cutter.

We discussed why it seems like I take his back a lot during rolling. It had mostly to do with him bringing his arm inside my knee shield from half.  I showed him some passes that I like to use from the top as alternatives to the knee slide.


No comments:

Post a Comment