Saturday, March 25, 2017

March 25th 2017 - Open Mat

Open Mat
Rolled With: Derek, Josh J, Ryan (Visitor), Justin
Game Plan: Crucifix

Derek: We did some drilling on our respective techniques. He said that my z-guard felt better than the last time I drilled with him.

When we rolled it started out well for me, I mostly kept control and was in good position to attack from turtle and side control. I couldn't get him to tap though and eventually I started to gas after several failed attacks and he eventually double legged me out of turtle and transitioned into side control and threw on an americana.

Josh: Had some great rolls with Josh.  He's been working on smash pass and did everything right except get the underhook.  At another point he had me in the bottom of side control but felt hesitant to attack. We talked about it afterward and I gave him the suggestion of switching sides to setup attacks.  At one point I was able to setup crucifix but ended up with back mount and his arm trapped.

Ryan: He was in town visiting a friend and trains elsewhere.  We rolled no gi and it can be exciting figuring out a new person and their game.  He hasn't been training for as long as I have, so while he did present some challenges for the most part I controlled the rolls.

I went over north/south choke with him and my setup.  Also some knee slide stuff.

Justin: He asked me to roll before calling it a day. We started standing since people were clearing out.  He's so low to the ground though and I had a tough time making anything happen on the feet. He was able to get me down with double and single legs while I threatened guillotines went for guard.

On the ground I was being pretty flowy and playful until I was in a donkey guardish position and Justin accidentally heel kicked me in the jaw.  I was fine and my mouth guard saved my teeth but it was a hard shot.

On our last roll I was attacking from turtle and was able to goad him into reaching between my legs for the crucifix.  He kept a tight hold and put his hands together but I was able to weasel my hand around his neck.  Crucifix is really becoming a go-to position for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment