Tuesday, February 28, 2017

February 28th 2017 - No Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Back Mount: Chair Sit, RNC
Partner: Frank

Good info on the chair sit position and transitioning to the back.  It's such an important movement that I use anytime to get to the back or regain control as someone is escaping.  We did the standard arm trap by controlling the underhooked hand and pushing the other hand into a leg trap.  Apparently on my left side I wasn't lining up the elbow properly or getting the choke deep enough.  Made some small adjustments and will watch that side in the future. 

Rolling: Backmount Up/Down/Out
Rolled With: Mike, Daniel, Ben, Frank

Our first round we started from the harness grip with the goal of getting to the back.  Great exercise and I feel like I excel there from offensively and defensively.  Offensively I find a tight harness in combination with my butterfly hooks to be very important.  Defensively I try to bridge into my opponent and get my back flat to the mat and get off to the side.  During that process I monitor my arm to watch for the head and arm choke and I start looking for half guard. 

During the up/down/out portion Mike and I had some tough exchanges.  There was a point when he had my arm trapped in his legs and he started to work on my other arm.  I saw a chance to escape and stack but an armbar came on fast and I had to yell "tap!".  I hate it when that happens as I want to avoid injury at all costs and sometimes things change in a split second.  Everything is fine though.  Later on there was a point when I was on his back and was able to get the cross wrist grab and went right for the RNC.  We fought grips for a while and I almost swallowed some of his hair but eventually I got the choke locked in.  For a while I was over his face and he said he likes to bring the choke down to the chest when that happens to kind of lock their jaw in there. 

There was another situation where he was escaping and I started with an arm triangle and somehow transitioned to a guillotine from half guard.  I fell to my side which felt like the right thing to do but it helped him escape. 

Office Hours Partner: Mike

Mike and I discussed the guillotine from top half after class and he gave me some ideas for how to finish it.  I should be using it to pass more rather than fall to the bottom.  Also when he put on the marcelotine as a demonstration I was miserable. 

We had some good rolls after class with a lot of transitions and him coming out on top.  His positions were solid and he kept himself just out of reach of where I feel my strengths are.  It was a good reminder that I still have a lot to learn.  We had a few leg lock entanglements are more attacking for the back. 

After rolling I asked to drill some crucifix and I felt pretty good about my transitions from armbar to choke.  He seems to favor the choke where I have been focusing on the armbar.  He gave me a tip on controlling the far arm at the hand more and also using my knee more to separate the arm from under them to help get the position.  I think my leg control over the arm is coming along very well. 

We discussed our individual improvement over the last year with our additional training per week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment