Thursday, February 23, 2017

February 23rd 2017 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Week #3 O-Goshi, Armbar from Guard, Cross Collar Choke
Students: Bob, Jess, Frank, Shane, Jesus, Tim

Thought I'd try something different for the warm-up and had everyone drill something for 3 minutes after the regular floor stuff.  Probably wouldn't have done it if we had a first day person but it worked out pretty well.  I remember some side control escapes, an omoplata, an o-soto gari, and a loop choke.  I was able to get in some crucifix work while a partner went to the restroom.

Here's some tips on the techniques of the week:
  • O-Goshi: I had Bob teach this and probably the biggest point he got across was distance control in your step during the fit in.  You want to step at the tip of the triangle as you off balance them and get your belt (hips) below theirs for the throw.
  • Armbar: The tip that I gave today that I was told was the most helpful was raising the leg into the armpit to bring their head forward and make the angle better to get your leg over.  DON'T CROSS YOUR FEET (most of the time).
  • Cross Collar: The first grip needs to be very deep.  The other thing that was important to me was the position of the wrist.  Don't let your wrist bend around the shape of their neck but jut it into the direction of your neck.
Rolling: Guard Up/Down/Out, Free Rolling
Rolled With: Everyone

Had 2 groups and it moved along pretty well and I was able to get in and work as well.  From the bottom I was able to hit one cross choke and one armbar and tried to set up each of them a few times.  The rest were

Office Hours Partner: Shane, Frank

During my last roll with Jess he had stood up at one point and I had an opportunity for a sickle sweep but he was against the wall so I had to switch to something different, but made the comment that I wanted it.  So Shane asked me to go over the sweep after class.  I showed it from feet on hips and also as a response to the standing guard break.  Frank and Shane drilled it a few times.

Rolled with Frank after that and was hunting the crucifix big time but couldn't find a way to make him turtle or the side control setup that I saw in the Cobrinha video below.  I don't think I got the grip on the arm quite right to control it.  Frank said afterward he thought I was hunting something in particular because I was skipping other opportunities for submissions.


No comments:

Post a Comment