Wednesday, February 8, 2017

February 8th 2017 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Week 1 O-Soto Gari, Side Control: Knee Across Escape, Americana
Partner: Jess, Morgan, Jordan, Dave

We started over the curriculum this week.  So if you attend a beginner/all levels class each week from here until we reach Straight Footlock again you will be exposed to everything you need to know for the blue belt curriculum.  Or in general it's the basics of BJJ.  Each time I go through the curriculum I pick up a couple of new things so just because they're basics doesn't mean they're simple or easy.

Some tips for this week:
  • O-Soto Gari: Make it more about being a hand technique rather than focusing too much on the sweeping leg part. 
  • Knee Across Escape: One tip that seems to help students is using the harness to pull them across to help get the foot to the floor and knee in the hip.
  • Americana: I like to involve my head to help keep their hand on the floor as I secure my grips.

Rolling: Side Control, Free Rolling
Rolled With: Jerad, Morgan, Jess

Had a fun roll with Jerad where we both did some good things. We were both able to escape the other's side control.  Morgan came fairly close to escaping my side control with the knee in leg over escape I had to go north/south to unravel it.

With Jess I took extra care to avoid the bad side of a leg entanglement, he's been getting good at them lately.  I attacked some loop chokes and kept my feet in butterfly hooks and away from the hip.

Office Hours: Discussion

We had a good discussion about our school and how things changed from the old place when we opened up. We have beginner and advanced classes, we do positional sparring, and we have great class times.  All things we didn't have at the old school.

We also talked about competing and how to develop a game. I shared my experience with preparing for tournaments and how my game got better from the tournament prep sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment