Wednesday, February 1, 2017

February 1st 2017 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Headlock Escape Bridge Over, Straight Footlock: Setup and Escape
Partner: Morgan

I was a little tired today and struggled with the warm-up.  Jerad did a good job of laying out the unwritten rules of the school as it relates to leg locks and other techniques.

White belts are pretty much limited to straight ankle locks while rolling.  At blue belt it opens up a bit allowing toe holds and knee bars, although most tournaments won't allow them at that level.  Reaping the knee and heel hooks in gi is off limits for everyone. More things go in no gi.

Rolling: Guard
Rolled With: Morgan, Jess

Jess was pretty persistent with the ankle lock and even got me to tap once.  I've noticed in the past that I let the lock go too far before I start defending.  I need to fight it off from the start.  Good on Jess for catching me.

Morgan's guard is getting more difficult to pass. He's doing some extra things to regain guard on the verge of being past that are great.

I rolled a few times with Jess after class and did my best to avoid another ankle lock. I attempted some loop chokes, also utilized the gift wrap for a pendulum sweep.


No comments:

Post a Comment