Tuesday, February 21, 2017

February 21st 2017 - No Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Half Guard: Clothesline Sweep, Get Underhook, Knee Slide Pass
Partner: Jess

Justin brought his dog into the school today and he went around getting petted by everyone during the session.  Scoob was our mascot for the day.

Jess and I got quite a few reps in as we rolled from one side of the mat to the other then switched half guards and rolled back the other way.  Because once you sweep, you end up in the same position so the person on the bottom can do the same sweep.  Then if they were to base out, they should make enough space for you to base out.  Finally we worked on passing with the key of putting our head on the other side of theirs to flatten out for the knee slide.

Rolling: Half Guard
Rolled With: Jess, Mike, Greg, Justin

We started our half guard rolls with the head and arm control.  I didn't have many problems from top or bottom half guard.  I did move to the double underhooks pass at one point and like the control, but haven't passed using it much.  From the bottom in this position, my goto is to get a butterfly hook in.

I felt like I did a pretty good job against Greg in the beginning.  I transitioned between guillotines and even had a kimura locked up for a second.  Didn't matter he turned the kimura around on me and went for an armbar that I had to escape.

Mike wore some MMA gloves and threw some shots whenever he was in a position to.  I tried to respond accordingly and did put myself in trouble a few times I wouldn't have if we were just grappling.  I did grab a kimura in the process and us it to sweep to the top.  I also went for the heel hook from half guard but botched it up. 

Office Hours Partner: Frank, Jess

Frank has been working on the butterfly sweep with me the last couple of times we've rolled.  He's getting there but still has the problem with using the underhook to control my posture so I've been focusing on him improving that.  We rolled a few times after that.

Jess and I rolled and it seemed like he was trying to put me into straight ankle lock position and I just didn't want to deal with defending it.  He did use it well though as he was able to pass to side control at one point.  Otherwise I was mostly in control.


Asked Mike and Greg about the half guard to heel hook setup and got more details on it. Mike helped me with finishing the heel hook.  The major takeaway was my wrist on their achillies tight was important.  I was too high on the forearm. 


No comments:

Post a Comment