Saturday, February 18, 2017

February 18th 2017 - Open Mat

Open Mat
Rolled With: Tyler, Tom, Jerad, Nate (new), Will, Josh J, Derek M
Game Plan: Bottom - Z-Guard, Top - Finishing from Back Mount

Tyler: He does such a good job with his legs. I've got to be on the top of my game with him. I was able to sweep him with z-guard and attack some things but ultimately he had a good omoplata attempt and finally caught me with a triangle. I'll have to rethink how I roll with him next time.

Tom: We had quite a few rolls, where I played a lot of half and z-guard. He was working hard to pass with the leg weave that I've worked with him on but he wasn't quite getting over my knee to smash it down.  So we worked on that pass and windshield wiping to complete it.

Jerad: I did some good things, but I was primarily defending the whole time.  I did use some Z-Guard, but he was able to sprawl through it.  I must need more reps with it.  I don't recall how he submitted me, must have been from mount or back mount.

Nate: He is pretty new to Jiu-Jitsu but said he was serious about wrestling in highschool.  It showed, he knew how to make pressure and avoid some submissions.  We talked about BJJ and MMA.  He said we had a good training environment and everyone had been friendly and helpful.

Will: Difficult roll as usual. There were a couple times where I felt like an armbar was there for the taking but as I set myself up to go for it, he raised his torso to prevent it.  Not sure what the contingency is for this.

Josh: Had a very tough roll with Josh.  He did such a good job of defending and my strength felt like it was giving out.  I spent a lot of time in back mount trying to setup a collar choke but he stripped my grips.

After we rolled I showed him that he needed to try to get his back to the floor and his hips above mine to escape more effectively. Stupid, I know.  Then I showed him my new answer for people standing in my cross guard.

Derek: I was just about ready to go when Derek asked me about cross collar from mount.  I showed him the way Jerad and I do it with thumb in and palms down. I've had way more success that way than the traditional. Once I told him to do it with straight arms, he got it super tight right away, so we may have another convert.

No comments:

Post a Comment