Wednesday, February 15, 2017

February 15th 2017 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Week# 2 Standing RNC Seio Nage Defense, Farside Armbar From Side Control, Scissor Sweep
Partner: Tom

Good day of training and I was happy that there were even numbers of us because I usually end up in a group of 3 or having to hover and help out lately.  After Tom and I did several reps with the armbar from regular side control we switched to the same armbar from neon belly.  He hadn't practiced it that much.  It's really a slick technique when they use the wrong (far) arm to push your knee off of their stomach. 

Jerad also through in the hitch hiker escape which is not something I practice often.  The key I felt was in the bridge to tripod motion to work up to top and kind of a smash pass.  Thinking about it I don't feel like I get stuck defending armbars that often, I'm either avoiding them all together or I don't have any chance of escape with someone like Greg. 

Rolling: Side Control, Free Rolling
Rolled With: Tom, Jordan, Dave

Rolling went well for me although I don't remember much.  I think I need to be a little more aggressive with my bridging in side control.  Generally I attack the cross face arm, look for the underhook or elbow push escape, bridge if I feel like I can, or collect up the leg in half guard if they attempt to transition to mount.  I feel like Conan has a different approach that he kind of attacks the position and makes it difficult for the top person to do anything.  Maybe I do that too but can't see it from that perspective.

Office Hours Partner: Tom

We went over single leg-x and x-guard and I showed him the things that work for me from these positions.

We also discussed some deep half stuff and I showed him some entry movements with using the raise your hand method and some bumping front shrimp type movements to make it easier to get under people.  I think I saw a little light bulb form out of that.  I know I had trouble with getting under bigger guys at first but over time these movements have developed, I just have to find a good way to teach them to others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment