Thursday, February 9, 2017

February 9th 2017 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Week 1 O-Soto Gari, Side Control: Knee Across Escape, Americana
Partner: Jess, Jesus

Greg asked to drill an ankle lock setup on me before warm-up.  The Estima lock always scares me, I have to make sure to tap quickly.

Felt good about my O-Soto technique and off balancing.  I'm still putting together the timing of it all.  Helped Tom a bit with putting my weight onto the leg to be reaped.  Greg gave us a new setup for the Americana where we were in a farside armbar position and put some elbow pressure on their jaw to get them to bring their arm in to defend.  It then put the arm in the right place for the americana.

Rolling: Side Control, Free Rolling
Rolled With: Tom, Daniel, Jess, Frank

From the top I setup a few NS chokes and transitioned to mount.  I also attempted a few head and arm chokes that I wasn't able to finish.  I did run into a pesky quarter guard occasionally.  From the bottom I mostly fought for underhook or elbow push and didn't see any good opportunities to hit the basic escape. 

Office Hours Partner: Frank, Greg

I showed Frank an escape and avoidance of the ezekiel from quarter guard.  We rolled for a while and then took a break to go over butterfly sweep.  The big thing was controlling the shoulders taking a high underhook and going sideways instead of backward. 

Greg wanted to drill a takedown that he's been working on that I'm really liking the look of.  He then let me drill cross guard and I worked on some variations of going back to closed guard after underhooking the leg.  He gave me a huge tip against people that stand to break the guard.  I need to hand over the sleeve to my underhooked hand and then control their collar to break their posture.  Seems like a great option.

No comments:

Post a Comment