Tuesday, June 6, 2017

June 2017 - Week #18 Technique Companion

Theme & Techniques: Seoi Nage, Double Ankle Grab Sweep, Butterfly Hook Sweep, Butterfly Guard Pass


Seoi Nage
Video: In-depth analysis of Ippon Seoi nage by Matt D'Aquino of Beyond Grappling

A couple of pointers when executing this throw.  Don't put their armpit over your shoulder, it should go closer to the crook of your elbow.  Judo Bob says that this throw is more like a hand technique rather than a hip throw.  After working with Bob on this and other throws I'm only scratching the surface with understanding it.

The drop seoi nage is the throw that I've had the most success with.  The morote has also been coming together for me.

This is the Morote Seoi Nage that I've been working on lately: Moro-Te-Seoi-Nage-Omote-Eingang (Tokio Hirano-Lehrgang 1984 in Papendaal, Holland)

Double Ankle Grab Sweep
Video: Double Ankle Grab Sweep-BJJ Blue Belt Requirements Technique #18

Not something I hit on a regular basis, I think it's because I'll transition to an open guard before someone is able to stand and break it.  But I've seen quite a few people pull it off and I've had it done to me before.  I think the hard part is maintaining the momentum and getting up and keeping the opponent's leg pinned in the process.  You have to beat the opponent popping up, grab their collar and widen your legs before they can get back to their knees.

Butterfly Hook Sweep
Video: The Most Important Butterfly Guard Sweep...

This is one of Greg's favorite techniques and I would say at first glance it's not what you think it is.  Everyone sees the end result of the leg kicking the other guys thigh over to complete the sweep, but really the sweep is way more about the upper body and controlling posture.  2 things I start with for the basic sweep.  A high underhook and I hang off of their other arm, this should change the angle of their shoulders.  Then you need to get out of your own way by getting your shin under your other leg, so you can fall to the side (not back).  The kick should be the last thing and just a helper.

Bonus videos:
BJJ Scout: Adam WardziƄski Butterfly Guard Study Part 1 
I've already seen some success with the techniques in this video because I play butterfly half often when I'm forced to.  The idea of switching and sweeping to the other side was new to me and I've really liked playing with it.

Andre Galvao, Butterfly Guard Sweep: Jiu-Jitsu Magazine #23
I haven't got to play with this one yet but I like the idea of where he puts the hand.



No comments:

Post a Comment