Wednesday, May 17, 2017

May 2017 - Week #15 Technique Companion

Theme & Techniques: Double Leg, Mount Americana, Side Control Bread Cutter

Double Leg
Video: Disable Grips for Double Leg Takedown in BJJ
An interesting gi version of the double leg that I might try sometime.  I like ChewJitsu as well.
Video: Fake Guard Pull To Double Leg - ZombieProofBJJ (Gi)
I've seen this type of fake guard pull to double leg or ankle pick and like the idea of it.

I couldn't find a video that teaches the grip breaks for the gi like we do.  Basically with standard judo grips we get rid of the one on our chest so they can't stiff arm it.  Go 2 on 1 with grabbing the sleeve and grab the meaty part of their thumb.  Now the hard part, the front leg needs to take a little step so the knee can penetrate the line between their heels.  If you keep a hold of their sleeve you can pull them over the top of you a bit.  From here turn the corner 90 degrees so your hips and feet turn.  One tip that Adam gave me from here is to look behind their back at this point.

Mount Americana
Video: How to Do an Americana from Mount | MMA Submissions
Usually avoid Howcast but this looks the closest to how we do it.

I huge part of this technique that took a while to sink in for me is that you want to have straight arms and push down into their shoulder.  It's not correct to try to push forward as their shoulder can make some good resistance.  Put both hands on their forearm, straighten your arms, then bring your shoulders up over your hands and push straight down.  Now this can be a little painful for the person on the bottom so once you understand it you don't have to drill it hard all of the time but it is necessary to get it against someone resisting.

Once you get their wrist flat on the mat, I like to use my head on the back of my wrist to keep it pinned, while I'm getting my other hand under their elbow or bicep.  Often this technique results in an armbar or back take when the bottom person tries to defend by turning, lifting their shoulder and getting their other arm involved.  Probably the person that gets me with this technique the most is Conan, but usually from side control.

Side Control Bread Cutter
Video: Rickson Choke
There are some details that are different here, we start from side control and get on our side more, but most of this video is the same as how we do it.

This is probably my first go to submission in the gi if I end up in standard side control.  To me it's important to get the collar and not just settle for some gi material on the shoulder.  If you can't reach, it's okay to slide your shoulder down on their ribs to get a better path to the collar.  The choking grip placement is also very important.  Don't go too deep or too shallow.  I put my thumb a little higher than the collar bone.

A good tip that Mike gave today is to drop your hips in the end especially if they are working the near arm in the way for space. 

Bonus Videos:

BJJ Paper Cutter Choke from Crossbody
This is a cool alternate setup that I haven't played around with too much but I think is pretty cool.

Kurt Osiander's Move of the Week - Choke from Side Control
Another good video with some side control attacks including the bread cutter from Osiander


No comments:

Post a Comment