Tuesday, May 9, 2017

May 9th 2017 - Week #14 Technique Companion

Theme & Techniques: Standing Headlock Escape to Hammerlock, Mount: Armbar, Elbow Escape

Standing Headlock Escape to Hammerlock
Video: Standing Headlock Defense

One of our standard headlock escapes.  A lot of the self defense techniques that we do are to prepare for common attacks from an untrained attacker.  In Jiu-Jitsu we wouldn't normally grab the headlock because it's not an effective or efficient attack.

Like with many self defense techniques we avoid getting punched first. Stiff arm the bicep and hand it to the other hand behind the back.  Now the important thing is to pin their hand to your chest as you make the stepping movement to the back.

Bonus Video: Rickson and Royler BJJ demonstration

Armbar from Mount
Video: Roger Gracie, Armbar From Cross Collar Setup


There are many setups for this technique the main goal is to get their elbow across and get your hips around behind their shoulder.

The part of this technique that was most difficult for me to get over was making too much space.  Something to avoid is laying down into the armbar. It generates too much momentum for the person on the bottom to come up and stack.  What helped me was to sit on their shoulder as I maneuver to s-mount.

Breaking hands apart from there is a whole different subject.  I like to make an RNC grip on their wrist as my first option, but there are also a few others I have success with.

Bonus Video: Kurt Osiander - Ralph Gracie Black Belt - Breaking an Armbar Defense Variation

Elbow Escape from Mount
Video: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu - Elbow Escape by Emily Kwok

I usually don't get this escape on my first try but it comes after a failed upa and if that fails I go to the foot scrape trap.

The most deceptive part of this technique for me was the elbow stays in place and I hip escape away from it.  Thinking of it as the center of the technique was key.  You also need some confidence in your hip escape, you're trying to straighten one of their legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment