Thursday, December 5, 2013

December 5th 2013 - No Gi (Just Takedowns)

Theme & Rolling: Takedowns with KOTM and Partner

After our warm-up we went right into takedown sparring for the majority of the class.  Eat your heart out Henry.  I felt more confident during stand-up sparring than I ever have.  I realized later on that this is the result of my reps with the arm drag to single leg in the competition class.  I actually completed a few takedowns.  Greg mentioned that I didn't look lost while standing up and I heard a few "nice arm drag attempt".  I focused the most on keeping my front hand down by my knee at all times.  I also felt a little better about pummeling although I need some more go to options.

Adam instructed us in using the Russian to transition to a double leg.  I had been attempting to get to the Russian position all evening but it never worked out.  After the confidence I've gained from working the arm drag to single leg, this may be something I focus on and add to my reps.  The double was a little awkward at first but once I figured out how to get deep with my shot, it worked a lot better.

I received Tinguinha's Cross Guard DVD yesterday and I've seen bits and pieces of it.  I can see some value in it already as it relates to my current game quite well.  It is providing answers to the problems that I've had with the position and broadening my horizons with stuff I would have never thought of.  I'll try to do a full review in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment