Friday, November 2, 2012

November 1st - Gi (Round 2)

We got a little bit of a late start yesterday as everyone was trying to figure out a triangle from inverted guard.  No one could quite get it well enough to teach so we switched to the tornado guard sweep and went on to do some other inversion stuff from there.  I felt like I was really picking it up with Mike as my partner.  I feel like I've been adopting the inversion type stuff quite well but not good enough to make it a part of my regular game.  Unfortunately during the last 2 techniques it all went to crap and I couldn't successfully pull off the sweep anymore.  The next techniques we did were from a failed scissor sweep where someone threads their arm between your legs.  From there we did omma plata and the triangle choke.

During open mat we decided to do round 2 of our round robin tournament with me vs. David.  We played a little patty cake for a while and then I pulled him forward to his knees.  Once there he was able to grab my legs and get the takedown for 2 points.  I worked from my back with everything that I'm good at but couldn't really make anything happen.  I tried cross guard a couple of times to omma plata but couldn't get my leg up into his arm pit.  I tried collar chokes and the loop choke once but couldn't find the right angle.  Eventually he started to pass my guard and I created a scramble by going to my knees.  He then fell into his closed guard.  Thinking back on it now I should have done something at this point to stay out of his closed guard, I feel like I just accepted it and didn't try to keep him from locking his legs up.  From there I still kept active trying to keep my posture and break his guard open.  I stood up and tried from there but he pulled me back down.  He ended up winning by his 2 takedown points.  Oh well, I just need to keep improving.  I remember a time when David was so overwhelming to me that I didn't feel like I could move when we rolled. 

I rolled with Ray a couple of times next.  He thoroughly kicked my butt.  I felt like I was doing a good job from half guard controlling and manipulating his leg.  I prevented a few ankle locks but then was caught with a toe hold.   I had one good attempt at an omma plata but I couldn't bring him down.  I get the feeling that he's not worried about me submitting him so he's pretty relaxed and just waits for his moment to attack.  He did a pretty cool back take which felt a little like a twister at first, I was able to avoid it and get back to open guard.  He finally got me with the magic grip trick by making me think he was going to do the magic grip but then finishing the kimura. 

I rolled with Jordan next and I decided to try some different things.  It was a little frustrating because Jordan is getting better and I can't just run through him.  I attempted a lot of inverted stuff like the tornado guard sweep which failed, but I was always able to recover.  Finally I was able to sweep him with a flower sweep right into mount.  I attacked all of the armlocks and chokes and kept really low.  I locked his shoulder up and was able to spin to an armbar.  Conan shouted out 3 minutes left so we had a quick roll.  I told him I was going to be more aggressive this time and I did just go into guard.  I got him down with a double leg that I insisted on and then worked from side control.  He moved to north/south to try an inverted triangle.  I went lower and then I slowly worked my way into a north/south choke, he pulled his hand out and allowed me to finish the choke. 

No comments:

Post a Comment