Saturday, November 24, 2012

November 23rd - Open Mat

Finally made it into the dojo.  My boss was nice enough to let me leave work early yesterday.  It was a pretty small group with Mike and I showing up first.  Nothing really changes.  I was unable to pass Mike's guard and he ended up catching me with a guillotine. 

It's been a long time since I've rolled with the Bauer power.  Our first match I went to the bottom mostly because knee wrestling doesn't feel great with my knees.  I started playing half, deep half, and full guard until I was able to get to my knees and do a single leg.  I controlled him pretty well from the top starting with half guard.  Then I used the old trick to take mount by laying on my hip and waiting for him to push into me and when he rolls back I throw my leg over into mount.  It's been pretty effective for me lately, I wonder if there is a name for it.  I controlled him from mount pretty well but had a hard time isolating an arm or getting any kind of choke and still trying to remember to keep mount.  Eventually it happened with a little head and forearm work I got him in a straight arm lock.  Our second fight went pretty similar all up until the end.  He was able to get me back on the bottom in half guard and then returned the favor with his own straight arm lock.  Makes me want to add some weight lifting into my workout.  I had a huge forearm burn after that.

I rolled with Greg next.  It started out the same as a fight between Mike and I.  The only thing different is that it seems much more hopeless.  There are a couple things that he does that no one else does.  When I was in his half guard he would post against my shoulder which would really limit my passing movement.  Whenever he got the opportunity he would cup my jaw to setup the guillotine.  I don't remember exactly how but he set me up pretty good and took my back.  Then when I tried to hip escape out he rolled to the other side.  He then put me in the choke very fast and very tight.  I was pretty amazed.

I rolled with Ray last and requested no leg locks.  He stayed on top the whole time in side mount or north south.  For some reason I can't remember what happened with the rest of the match.  Total blank, but I'm sure he submitted me.  Knees felt pretty good but not 100% yet.  I'm thinking about waiting another month before I return but I don't really want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment