Monday, April 15, 2013

Recovery and Other Good News

I had hopes of staying up and watching the surgery take place.  Unfortunately or fortunately the meds they put in my IV and the oxygen knocked me out pretty well through most of the procedure.  I came to and the doc held up a quarter sized piece of my meniscus. The rest of the afternoon is a little fuzzy.  I went home spent most of the weekend on the couch.  I got around okay on crutches but did have some issues with stairs.  On Sunday I started testing out how much weight I could put on my leg and quit the meds.  I was able to stagger into work on Monday and I feel like it's been progressively getting better since then.

I went to my first physical therapy session today which was a little later than I was supposed to.  The therapist (Claire) was impressed with my range of motion for just having surgery, while I thought it was one of my problems.  Through some exercises and stretches she determined that my quad is not firing as well as it could be.  We went through several exercises from just tensing the muscle to squats and some balancing.  Probably the most difficult was when I had to walk over a step and then easing my heal down and kind of doing a one legged squat.  I'm happy I went, as I was considering skipping it.  I have 2 other appointments scheduled for Wednesday and Friday.

Finally Greg, Conan, and Jerad have announced that they are opening their Jiu-Jitsu school soon.  I've been excited for this for a long time but unable to talk about it. The new school will be located around 40th and O st.  I am hoping the grand opening will coincide with my recovery. I'm looking at it as a new beginning.

In light of this I visited Roseberry's dojo Thursday to return his key and I watched the end of class.  As I watched them drill side control, I really wanted to get out there but obviously couldn't.  It felt a little awkward there, like everyone was on edge.  That just may be a false perception as I felt awkward there sitting next to Mr. Roseberry.  I tried to thank him for allowing me to train at his school but I'm not sure if I got my message across.  It may be the last time I set foot in that dojo for a long time.

2 comments:

  1. glad to hear your surgery went good. sorry to see that your leaving the dojo. i hope to be able to train with sometime in the future. keep training and progressing as a martial artist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ken, keep in touch. You have been a big part of my Jiu-Jitsu progress. I'm sure we'll see each other around.

    ReplyDelete