Sunday, September 14, 2014

September 13th - Weekly Review

As many of you already know, I decided to take my blog underground and not share it anymore.  I feel like it's been a good decision as I feel more free to write what I want without thinking about who's going to read it etc.  I got a lot of good comments on Facebook from my friends saying they liked the blog, so I came up with the idea of doing a weekly review just to keep it going a little bit.  I'd also like to blog here about events like tournaments, belt promotions etc that the school does.  So hopefully this turns out okay.

Also quick shout out to all of my LBJJC family that competed at Circle of Iron.  I have already seen some videos and some hardware pictures.  Respect to everyone that put themselves out there and competed.


Theme & Techniques
Beginner/All Levels: Standing Headlock Defense w/ Hammerlock, Armbar from Mount, Elbow Escape from Mount

I didn't find the self defense technique too appealing, maybe because it reminded me of Hapkido, but it grew on me as the week went on.  Tuesday I got to work with both Robert and Will which is a real treat for a Tuesday beginner class as I am often the only blue belt.  Rolling felt good in these classes all week.  I feel pretty strong with my mount escapes and attacks.

Advanced: Clock Choke, Various Conan Style Side Control Escapes

Greg was absent for the advanced class on Wednesday so Conan went through one of his famous classes.  These reversals actually came quite a bit easier during drilling than they usually do, maybe some of the Conan magic is rubbing off on me.  But, then I rolled with Conan from side control and completely shut me down from top and bottom.  It is very interesting how he put pressure or lock something up on me and I'm not able to do anything.

Open Mat

Had some good rolls as usual.  One huge takeaway was that Mike noticed that I should use some grips a little more during side control and that was an instant change when I tried it during rolling, I'm going to really be looking into this next week.  Greg and I discussed single leg-x defense as well as passing butterfly guard that I will also add to my list of things to work on.

Esteemed Colleagues and Honorable Mentions

Bhuvana: It's interesting to see her go from thinking BJJ was primal and not understanding what was going on to now speaking the lingo with me at work.  She's also a big supporter of the blog and sometimes my proof reader.

Brian (Firefighter): For this comment he made about my blog: "I was judging my BJJ progression by whether or not I got mentioned on the blog. When I did get mentioned, I felt like Susan Lucci when she finally got an Emmy after 30 years of waiting!!"  Not because I saw him in class this week.

Henry: For gi choking me pretty well twice. 


No comments:

Post a Comment