Friday, September 5, 2014

September 5th 2014 - Gi

Theme & Techniques: O Goshi, Back Mount Gi Chokes: X-Choke, Wing Choke, Bow & Arrow
Partner: Anthony (Bandana)

Not much to say here.  Focused on my wrist position and tried not to get Anthony's hair too tangled up in my choking hand.  He seemed to be getting the techniques today and only required a few pointers.

Rolling: Back Mount Position (4 x 2 min), Free Rolling/Competition Matches (2 x 5 min)
Rolled With: Anthony, Ross, Jordan

Anthony did well with back mount for being so new.  I think his long legs helped with that.  During free rolling I helped him out with some basic strategy and informed him thusly that he didn't want to attempt to collar choke me in my closed guard.  Jordan's guard passing is coming along, but I think our size difference gives me a major advantage on top of having more experience.  I think I've seen a skill jump in Ross lately as he's getting ready for the tournament.  I'm excited to see how everyone does. 

No one wanted to hang out for office hours today.  Probably too many burpees inflicted by Greg.  Greg and I discussed the benefits of the beginner class as opposed to the mixed classes we used to have at the old school.  I was contemplating how different it would be if instead of being thrown to the wolves, I started in a beginner class.  I think the factor that helped the most with my success was the attitude that I went into Jiu-Jitsu with.  At the old school I witnessed a lot of new guys start then get discouraged and then quit.  With already having a martial arts background I felt confident that if I stuck it out and learned the techniques and put the work in it would eventually pay off.  Even with this attitude some days were tougher than others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment