Sunday, January 18, 2015

January 18th 2015 - Weekly Review

Personal Focus of the Week: Back Takes, More Aggressive Guard, Beginnings of the Barato Plata


Theme & Techniques
Beginner/All Levels: Technical Stand-up, Closed Guard - Hip Bump Sweep & Kimura
Partnered and Rolled With: Bhuvana, Mike (Lawyer), Riley (New Guy), Ben, Greg

I haven't had much confidence with the hip bump sweep lately.  I've tried it off and on during rolling but I must be telegraphing too much because I seem to get shut down pretty easily.  I think the creating space part is the hardest for me.  I don't want to give that space up but I need it to get the leverage.  I just need to go for it with a little confidence.  I may try to incorporate it more as it is different from the stuff in my usual game. 

Kimura is fine and it comes every so often for me, more so from half guard.  I watched a video of passing the half guard with the kimura that gave me some ideas that I tried during rolling a couple times this week. 

After class Greg gave me some details on the omoplata finish that he learned from Tinguinha.  Grab their pant leg and stiff arm.  Next hip out away from them driving them down and making yourself heavy.  Reach up with the free hand and grab the far hip.  Then pull them over.  I did it once or twice this week and it's an instant add to the game.

Advanced: Triangle Setups: Basic, Overhook, Scissor Sweep
Partnered and Rolled With: Conan, Adam, Greg, Fuji, Gina

Had some good things happen in advanced class, working on the triangle with Adam wasn't one of them.  I just couldn't find an angle that would allow me to lock it up.  I still got him to tap but that wouldn't have happened if he was resisting.  Conan I could lock up and he said a couple times that my triangle was very tight.  Pretty much because I have no choice with my short legs.  I prefer the overhook setup to the others at least that's what I've practiced the most.  Greg said we'll be working on the triangle for 6 weeks so I have that to look forward to.  Hopefully we cover the mounted triangle at some point because that's something I can do.

My crowning achievement was when I passed Adam's guard during king of the mat.  The first time I almost did it but he was able to get up to turtle and then take me down.  I attempted a guillotine but it was all for not.  I think I need to be a little more aggressive with my guillotines.  The second time we rolled I avoided some wrist locks that he tried and waited for him to open his guard.  I attempted the over under but got sucked into his half guard.  I avoided his lock down by keeping my heel tight to butt.  I went back and forth from the hip switch to the tripod pass and eventually I isolated his arm and was fighting for the kimura.  It allowed me to get my leg free and I just had to keep good pressure so he couldn't get up.  Yes!  Although I expect it to be much more difficult next time.

Open Mat
Rolled With: Ross, Ben, Jordan

Didn't roll with too many people yesterday, but not on purpose.  I ended up giving out a lot of advice and help to my partners.  The competition class is screwing up my flow.  After it was over people just kind of sat around, even guys that weren't in the class.  I posted myself in the middle of the mat and waited for someone to look interested in rolling.  I could tell Conan and Gina were talking about me because after peering at me and talking Gina came over and said that she was going to leave and come in for no gi Sunday.  Eventually I just said, "is anyone going to roll today?" and Ross volunteered.

I emphasized my aggressive guard with all of my partners by going for grips and staying up instead of just falling back and waiting for them to come to me.

I assisted Ross with 2 on 1 stuff and how to take the back and some of my strategies for the top half guard position.  I helped Ben with some advice on how to make good pressure in side mount.  He was using his chest way too much and not connecting his knee to my hip.  I also walked him through the butterfly guard and the hook sweep.  I was a training dummy for Conan and Zack while they worked on the arm triangle.

No comments:

Post a Comment