Sunday, January 25, 2015

January 25th 2015 - Weekly Review

Focus of the Week: Aggressive Guard, Knee On Belly

Theme & Techniques
Beginner/All Levels: Koshi Guruma, Standing Guard Break, Toreando Pass
Partnered and Rolled With: Harvey, Ben, Jeff, Riley, Anthony, Greg, Zack, Ty, Adam, Dave, Mike (Lawyer), Austin

I was surprised at how many people I got the chance to train and roll with this week.  Good stuff!

One thing that Greg mentioned during the teaching portion was taking short steps back as you push their knee down.  This is something I've struggled with in the past as I wasn't sure if I should take a big step back instead.  One thing I noticed a couple people doing was moving the front leg towards the free arm too much.  I tried to let him know that's where I can get an omoplata or sweep.  I noticed after that Greg's leg was never close to the free arm while he was practicing.  In the Friday class we went off on a bit of a tangent to deal with someone grabbing the ankle.

During rolling it seemed like Greg was on a mission to do the Sao Paulo pass to everyone.  I was inspired and tried it a few times as well.  It was actually a perfect thing to do against people that keep their guard so tightly closed with strength.  Greg attempted the pass on me and I kept him from finishing it a couple times by keeping his head away.  He eventually got it though.  He showed me a couple tips on breaking the guard open that I'll have to practice.

We did king of the mat for rolling Friday morning and I had quite a few challenging rolls with the likes of Adam, Ty, and Zack.  Ty actually puzzled me the most because I put him into a couple of omoplatas and he countered by grabbing my collar with his free hand.  It's not something that anyone else has done to defend my omoplata so I shall ponder.

Kids' Class

The boys went to their first older kids class and they did great.  It was pretty similar to an adult class and they jumped right in.  The hip escapes and front and back rolls were no problem but there were a few things they weren't used to like walking break falls, alligator walks, and bird dogs.

The technique of the day was the double leg.  Not my personal best technique but I could give some pointers to the kids.  The boys did some rolling from the knees and it was very rough.  Jayden is not very aggressive and Jace is a little too aggressive.  I kept trying to tell them that they wanted certain positions like guard and mount but they had tunnel vision on each other.  They finished the day with the other kids doing rolling starting from standing but my boys did sumo and foot tag instead.  They both said that they would like to go back next week but that it was difficult too.

Open Mat
Rolled With: Fuji, Jerad, Ty, Bauer, Felipe (New), Kat

While Friday was all about omoplatas I may have only done one Saturday, strange. I had quite a bit of interaction with Fuji because he wanted to work on bottom side control.  That sounded great to me after he crushed me in his side control.  Mike gave me some advice about my knee on belly that I'm going to look into this coming week.  I was keeping my back knee on the floor too much and too close so it could be grabbed.  I also wasn't really trusting the position.

Bauer and I had an epic roll as usual but this time in no gi.  We went back and forth several times he even foiled my north/south choke at one point.  A couple times I got to mount and realized that I did not have many submissions in my toolbox for no gi.  Sure there's armbar, americana, and mounted triangle but what else?  So a future research project may be no gi submissions from mount.

No comments:

Post a Comment