Monday, February 16, 2015

February 15th 2015 - Weekly Review

Missed a couple of classes this week.  I've decided to temporarily suspend Wednesday advanced classes to spend more time with my family.  Friday morning however, I either turned my alarm off in my sleep or it didn't go off.  I was pretty upset about that.

I returned to the gym to swim a couple days this week and it felt pretty exhausting. 


Theme & Techniques
Beginner/All Levels: Head Lock Escape Leg Hook to Armbar, Turtle Turnover to Side and Back Mount
Partnered and Rolled With: Harvey, Bhuvana, Nic, Brian (Backdraft), Anthony, Ray, Sam, Greg

Bhuvana had a little trouble using the technical standup to get to the armbar in one move.  Apparently many did because Greg stopped us and demonstrated that part again.  Probably the most important thing that I showed her though was to focus more on the pulling lower shoulder under our bodies when trying to get the elbow on the floor.  Then being willing to twist multiple times until the elbow is free.

For attacking turtle, I showed her my trick for grabbing the near side lapel and then switching sides.  I don't know why everyone doesn't do this.  One thing that was missing from this back take from turtle was I wasn't rolling them up a bit to free my bottom leg to be a hook.  I would generally just end up in side control or a half assed back mount that could be escaped.

We did some up/down/out from turtle and Anthony was the only one person that was able to escape my turtle with a granby and got to guard and I was like "good job, totally legit."  Otherwise I granbied my way out of most turtles or pulled guard.  I have a lot of trust in the granby now especially after seeing Greg do it so much and succeeding.  I was telling other people to have more faith in the technique and heard that Bhuvana and Harvey both were able to complete it a couple of times.

Ray and I had a good bout where I almost took his back.  He tried to leg lock me, to which I attempted a bow and arrow that I thought was close.  I ended up in closed guard in the end after a failed stacked armbar but would have liked the tap or back mount instead.

After class, I showed Nic how I usually stop the granby roll by mostly holding the far hip and keeping ahead of them.  I realized that the room was silent and everyone was watching us.  I guess I was instructor like at that time but didn't plan on being the center of attention.

Zack and I did another shark tank for Greg.  We started from standing with 6 minute rounds.  I fought as hard as I could and surprised myself with a few things.  I don't think I ever scored any points though.  I regained guard a few times though.  The first round I held off being submitted until the final seconds, he caught me with a straight armlock.  I was trying to be funny and ask if the clock was going to run out but Ray and Zack thought I was trying to tap and panicked a little.

A couple of cool things that I did were: Regain half guard to butterfly half guard to full butterfly but he was able to pass it soon after.  Regain half guard from mount to deep half but wasn't able to complete the sweep.  Greg pulled guard at one point and I fought pretty hard to pass but I couldn't get out of his spider.  Otherwise he used spider guard, single leg-x, and butterfly to sweep me and then attacked a lot from side mount.

Open MatRolled With: Jerad, Dwight, Ben, Fuji, Mike

Jerad: We slow rolled for a while in the beginning and messed around a little bit.  Mostly he dominated me like usual but I had my moments.  I passed his guard and fought from the top for quite a while and came close with a darce choke.  I think I messed up when I went for a mounted triangle.  Then I was on the bottom for the remainder.  I ended up in the torque sweep position a couple times but couldn't seal the deal.  He knows what I'm trying to do because Greg has been doing it a lot lately.  One thing that he did was to use a brabo grip to pass my guard in place of the underhook because he said that it is difficult to get the underhook against me.  I'm having a hard time remembering what submissions that he got on me.  I know one was an americana that he hit during a scramble where I made a huge mistake of pulling his arm up over my head. 

Dwight:  He doesn't bring his gi to open mat to I went no gi with him.  I was a little concerned that I'd have a hard time with him but it turned out not being that bad. We rolled for a good 20 minutes.  I usually started in butterfly on the bottom and there was also a lot of half guard.  I mostly dominated the matches or at least kept him out of good positions.

Ben: He was having calf cramps and looked tired.  I guess Bauer gave him a run for his money and sucked out some of his soul.  I mostly played guard until I could sweep.  I was a little lackluster and he was able to pass my guard a few times and I eventually got back to guard.  I eventually caught him with the omoplata using the new finish trick. 

Fuji: He asked me if I wanted to roll or do the side control stuff and I just said roll.  I was way too sloppy and loose while trying to setup my cross guard omoplata and he stacked and I gave up guard.  He worked his way to the brabo (which translates to mean) and after several feeble attempts to escape he finally choked me.  We discussed my guard and got Mike involved a little bit in discussing my options and how to deal with Fuji's attack.  The baratoplata seems like a pretty good option but I also need to not be so sloppy with my technique.  

Mike:  He drilled some berimbolo stuff before we rolled and it was very technical.  He was able to pull it off during our roll as well.  Somehow I was eventually in the guard passing position on top.  I made it to quarter guard and did a rolling back take but only went to side control.  I went for another rolling back take and finally succeeded in somewhat taking his back.  I attacked bow and arrow and then armbar.  I made it to mount and started to work toward the baratoplata and we had a little laugh when he realized what I was trying to do.  Somehow from there I ended up putting him in an inverted triangle (inverted isn't the right word but I'm not sure of the triangles name where your body is above and behind them).  I tried to make it tighter but was unable eventually I trapped one of his arms in a kimura and got the tap.  We went over the rolling back take and he gave me some pointers on going to the truck position. 

No comments:

Post a Comment