Monday, February 23, 2015

February 22nd 2015 - Weekly Review

Focus of the Week: Sweep Follow through, Butterfly Guard with Collar Grip

Theme & Techniques
Beginner/All Levels: O Goshi, Back Mount Collar Choke, Bow & Arrow
Partnered and Rolled With: Robert, Brian (Volley Ball), Jordan, Zack, Dave, Conan

No problem with practicing the techniques this week.  However while being demonstrated on, Greg showed what would happen if he didn't grab the leg at the knee during the bow & arrow.  I went to my usual escape and he was like no no just roll.  So I went the other way and he was like no no just roll, finally after the third time I figured out what he wanted me to do.  I got validated though when Robert had a hard time doing the same thing.  On Friday, Greg came by and showed Brian and I a variation on the bow & arrow to drop the underhook all the way to the ankle.  Neither of us could make it that far without tapping.

Had some good rolling sessions from the back.  I didn't get too many submissions but I felt pretty good about my control.  I did have to switch to mount or side mount quite a few times but tried to keep the harness grip.  When I did lose the position it was because I let my partner's hips get too high.  I've got to figure out a way to control that better.

Zack and I rolled with Greg on Tuesday shark tank style.  I felt pretty good about my performance in the beginning.  There were a few close calls where I thought I was getting somewhere and then he took it away.  He attempted a submission possibly an armbar and I was able to escape and come up and start passing guard.  Eventually he worked his way to side control and knee on belly and grinded me out until he got the baseball bat choke.

I made an observation while Greg was rolling with Zack.  After he passed his guard Zack was stiff arming him.  Greg's response was to do a back stroke like motion and grab the pants of his lower leg and then move his knees to the other side and the stiff arm went away.  It's a simple thing but it's huge for my guard passing because this is something that stops me every now and again.  I used this a couple of times during open mat.


Open Mat
Rolled With: Jerad, Adam, Ross, Austin, Ben, Bhuvana

Jerad: Had my weekly rolls with Jerad.  He is consistently in the top 5 people that can make me feel like I'm not as good as I think I am.  Saturday was one of those rare occasions where I caught him, and with a loop choke no less.  Our last roll went quite a bit longer and it entailed our usual pattern event though I felt improvement in some places.  He eventually submitted me with a triangle that I was attempting to bust out of and maybe something else after that but I don't remember.

Adam:  We fought for a long time and most of it I spent on my back in side control, but I do feel like I'm improving.  I regained guard a few times and got to omoplata position and then triangle and then baratoplata but couldn't seal the deal.  The granby roll was working well for me all day.  Eventually I got worn out and he was able to complete an americana.  I made the comment that it was so demoralizing to work so hard to get guard back all of those times and then just to have it passed again.

Ross: Before we started rolling he said that he'd try to be a good partner for me.  Not sure where that came from; he's always a challenge, but he may have been tired from competition class.  We went over some ways I set up the north/south choke after I caught him a couple times.  He almost caught me with an ankle lock but I was able to stand and get out of it.  We went over some 2 on 1 from guard and I gave him some pointers on things that I do from there.  We did some positional sparring to practice it.

Austin: I worked on my butterfly guard focusing on the collar grip.  At one point he made the comment that I was doing blue belt magic.  He attempted the tozi pass on me but put himself right into an omoplata.  We went over the pass a little and I told him the reason I was able to do that was because of head position.  We rolled a couple other times and I remember him defending my armbar pretty well with the RNC hand position that I showed him a while ago.

Ben: We started out and he was being pretty hanzy with his grip fighting so I decided to take it to him.  I got a good collar grip and went for the butterfly guard pass and kept on him until he was swept.  I spent a lot of time in KOB trying to setup the baseball bat but I couldn't get him to tap to it. Not sure how the roll ended but he appreciated the extra aggression that I put into the roll.

Bhuvana: She requested earlier to work on the bow & arrow since she missed all of the classes this week. We went over the basic way from back mount and I showed her a few variations to get an idea of how else it could be done.  We rolled and she did a great job of avoiding being submitted.  I spent a lot of time in mount trying get an arm free.  Eventually I setup a mounted triangle and then switched to armbar when she attempted to stack.

No comments:

Post a Comment