Sunday, March 1, 2015

March 1st 2015 - Weekly Review

Focus of the Week: Preventing Opponent's Grips, Back Takes

Theme & Techniques
Beginner/All Levels: Standing Headlock Defense Hammer Lock RNC, Elbow Escape From Mount, Armbar from Mount
Partnered and Rolled With: Anthony, Dave, Zack, Greg, Conan, Robert, Jeff, Zack


I think I realized for the first time this week that the objective of the elbow escape is to get them to lift their leg.  I always thought I was trying to shrimp out between their knees and if they came up that was a plus.  Kind of silly now that I think about it.

Helped my partners with a couple things here and there.  Like for the headlock defense to not go down to your knees too soon.  If they're not down yet they may be able to push against you and gain some leverage.  For the mount escape, my partner wasn't always covering my calf before freeing the first leg.  I caught myself doing this a couple times too.

On Friday to make this go faster we added in the scissor sweep.  So once we did our escape we would go right into scissor and the other person would be in mount.  2 techniques for the price of one.
During mount positional sparring I felt pretty good about my mount escapes but not so good on my mount attacking.  I got some upa escapes and the elbow escape but mostly went to half or deep half.  From the top I wasn't getting any good collar grips and even if I did I don't have much faith in the cross choke.  Ezekiel is always there but people have been doing better at blocking it lately.

Advanced: Turtle farside single leg counter - Leg americana, Roll to Reverse Omoplata, Switch Reverse Omoplata
Partnered and Rolled With: Adam, Mike, Brian (AF), Will, Henry

Ido Pariente was in town and came and taught class Wednesday night.  It was a pretty tough warm-up.  I got through it all so I guess I'm still in okay shape, but don't get me wrong I was huffing and puffing at the end.  We did some jogging and various animal walking and Jiu-Jitsu type movements down the floor.  Some of the guys were having trouble with the cartwheels and other more gymnastic like motions.  I need to improve on my back roll to hand stand.  One exercise that he made clear was important was a four point movement where you turn 90 degrees four times going from bear crawl to crab walk.

The techniques were pretty cool although I don't end up in the position too often.  It's when you are attacking from top turtle and they grab the far (wrong) leg.  The first movement was to make a knee strike motion to their elbow so the other leg could scissor the arm for the americana type motion.  I got Adam pretty good the first time and I think it scared him a little bit.

The second move we did the windshield wiper type motion to switch their hand to be under the other leg.  Then take the outside arm and feed it under their leg to grab their pants near the knee.  Then rolling.  At first only half way to see if they roll or not.  If they don't you can get the tap there.  If they do you follow them switch hands on the knee grip and put your other hand in their armpit.  Then taking the legs back to the side.

The alternative was mostly for bigger guys like Adam and I.  Instead of rolling after switching the arm we reached across to the opponent's leg for a switch type grip.  Then putting belly pressure down on the back of their head.  Also effective but I had a little trouble connecting my hands.

Ido tried to roll with everyone that he could, unfortunately I wasn't one of them.  I did have some great rolls regardless.
Adam: I struggled to keep my guard and felt like I made some good moves.  Eventually he passed and I dealt with quite a few butchers and was never able to get any semblance of guard back.  I kept him from submitting me but it sucks being on the bottom.

Mike:  I sat guard and we had a decent exchange as I played some de las riva and deep half guard.  He finally passed my guard when I was in deep half and he got his leg free.  Eventually I regained before the round was over.

Brian: I wasn't able to submit Brian this time, he did a good job defending.  I was mostly on top in side control and mount.  I attempted to setup the rolling back take but I think he was wise to my scheme.  I was working on isolating arms trying to pry them off while dealing with his monster bridges.  I'm feeling pretty good about my mount control lately but not about my submissions.

Will: I haven't seen him for quite a while.  He gave me a little bit of trouble as I was passing his guard.  What finally worked for me though was the back stroke to knee grab and push that I saw Greg do a couple Tuesdays ago.  I think this may be one of those times when something is automatically enveloped into my game.  I ended up keeping him in mount for a while.  He attempted his inverted escape but I was just barely able to get low enough to stop it.  I ended up in technical mount after attempting a bow & arrow and switched to an ezekiel that I slipped in without him being able to defend.

Henry: I kept him at bay today.   My half guard control is working much better against him and I think the aggression that I'm putting into it to keep the space is helping.  I went to deep half guard a couple of times and felt like I had good control although I never was able to sweep him yet.  I went from turtle to deep half.  Even though I had an underhook he kept pushing me back down with his overhook.  He did pass my guard at one point but I was able to regain it back. 

Open Mat
Rolled With: Austin, Ben, Bauer, Tami

Got in some drilling time with Greg between the kids class and open mat.  He was drilling some back take stuff.  I drilled the Rolling back take from mount first.  Some of the big takeaways were putting the second leg over their shin before rolling.  Controlling the arm or hip after kicking their leg over.  The second thing I worked on was the back roll from the omoplata when they posture.  The big thing Greg suggested was to be more explosive with it.  I also need to keep a hold of the wrist as I'm going over.  The last technique I worked on was the basic butterfly sweep.  I thought I had this down pretty well but he gave me some valuable pointers.  I wasn't squeezing their arm enough on the overhook arm.  Then I was trying to get out of the way when doing the sweep.  Greg actually wants me to push into them more and this made a huge difference but it was only a little different movement.

Austin: He did a good job of defending my armbars today.  There was one point when I had him in an omoplata and he initiated the roll.  I decided to roll again for good measure.  I was trying to work on my butterfly guard, but he kept standing up so I went to x-guard.  He said that kept happening to him, duh if you try to stand up in someone's butterfly you get put in x-guard. 

Ben: I hit a mounted triangle from side mount that I was surprised worked out so well.  I did miss putting his arm high into my hip.  I think after last week he's enjoying going a little harder with me and not holding back.  Not that I'm being mean but the thing that I won't let him have is grips of any kind.

Bauer: Always a pleasure testing myself against him.  From technical mount I fed his collar to my under hand and then controlled his head.  It was kind of a bow and arrowish choke.  In our other roll I went to single leg-x at one point and did the technical standup sweep.  I was able to submit him with kimura from north/south.  I attempted an omoplata from mount at one point but couldn't figure out how to put my leg over his head for the twisting armbar. 

Greg showed him an escape from the hip switch half guard escape and Bauer and I drilled it quite a few times.  You grab the belt and use your elbow to keep them from getting too high on your chest.  Then wrap the leg and attempt to move to mount, if they push back you go to back mount.  Bauer also worked on the gordo sweep and the triangle choke.  I gave him some pointers on pushing the knee that I saw in the video to make the triangle tighter.  He was having trouble keeping bigger guys' posture down when transitioning to the side.

Tami: She is very good at defending.  I was surprised at how well she defended her neck and kept her arms in.  I attempted some collar chokes that she got out and fought her turtle a little bit.  We rolled a couple times and I gained some respect for her defenses since this was the first time we rolled together.

No comments:

Post a Comment