Sunday, March 29, 2015

March 29th 2015 - Weekly Review

Focus of the Week: Half Guard

Theme & Techniques
Beginner/All Levels: Seio-Nagi, Double Ankle Grab Sweep, Butterfly Hook Sweep
Partnered and Rolled With: Josh, Ross, Mike (Lawyer), Austin, Zack, Bhuvana, Robert

On Tuesday, Bhuvana and Zack let me drill some half guard stuff before and after class that I picked up from the Ryan Hall DVD.  Using the knee shield I grab the sleeve and use it to create an arm drag.  I really liked how much control it allowed for and the other possibilities I saw and can't wait until I can try it in free rolling. 

For the throw I focused on doing the uppercut motion and keeping a fist instead of grabbing the tricep.  For the double ankle sweep we went over grip breaks quite a bit.  Greg showed us both a palm strike and the circular thumb wedge thing.

Bhuvana was pretty happy with her progress on the hook sweep.  It is very technical with everything having to fall into place.  For me I had trouble with my head control and falling to the side.  Her biggest problem was rolling to her elbow and stopping herself instead of rolling to the shoulder. 

On Friday morning I worked with new guy Josh again.  Didn't have to correct too much stuff on the throw.  Just had to mention to keep his hip out and feet closer together.  He seems to be very serious and expect a lot of himself.  I would think maybe his expectations are a little too high at this point.

I felt pretty good about teaching the hook sweep.  I'm able to relay this info pretty well recently.  My butterfly guard also felt better during the rolling portion of these classes.  I'm starting to understand the head position in relation to the underhook.

Open Mat
Rolled With: Andrew, Jerad, Ross, Adam (NP),

Andrew: He and his brother drove in from North Platte for open mat.  I was hoping to warm-up a bit with some drilling but he wanted to go right into rolling instead.  I treated it more like a flow roll which lead to him passing my guard a couple times, but I did a good job of recovering.  I caught him with cross guard omoplata a couple times but each time his arm disappeared into his sleeve.  This was a new problem that I may have to discover alternatives for.  I fell into the good part of a half ass crucifix position with him, but was unable to finish.  I attempted a collar choke but couldn't get it under his chin.

He asked me to work on somethings for when a person is standing and I'm sitting.  I told him it's not my strong suit but I showed him the entry to single leg-x and sweeping and switching to full-x.  Greg came over and gave a key piece of info that I was missing.  I was coming at it from straight on with pulling their leg and kicking into the position, but Greg says he does it more like a butterfly guard sweep and falls to the side.  Makes a huge difference!

Jerad: I was able to actually use what Greg just showed me on Jerad.  Where I couldn't even move him before I made it to single leg-x and then to full-x and swept.  That was the highlight of my day.  After that there was a point where I was trying to pass his open guard and he grabbed my sleeve with 2 hands on one side.  I felt in a little danger for a triangle.  I grabbed his belt and did the Tinguinha belt grab pass controlling his foot and trying to get to north/south.  It worked pretty well.  Something that didn't quite go my way was when I had him in deep half and was able to sweep, but apparently he slipped on some sweat and put him a little farther away from me than I had anticipated, which gave him enough space to come up into a knee tap.  He was able to submit me a couple times with an armbar and a wristlock.  I told him he could do a wristlock there so he was a little hesitant to count it.  There was a great exchange when I was in bottom half guard and had a great underhook.  Many sweeps were attempted and came close to completing but eventually I got lazy and he pulled his foot out.

Ross: I gave him some pointers on defending the kimura when he's in top half guard.  Dwight had caught him with one.  I showed him how to posture and break free.  We rolled a couple times.  I caught him with a north/south choke after he defended one.  I'm finding that to happen often lately.  That I'll go for a NS choke and they'll defend and I'll regroup and start to go to another position but then attack the NS choke right away and be able to finish it. 

Adam: I started out passing and playing some side control.  He was able to recover guard and I passed again.  He escaped side control by going to turtle I tried my best to stay with him but eventually ended up on the side of him in a half ass back mount.  I clung on for dear life but it was the wrong thing to do.  I ended up in half guard and by pressuring my underhook side down he worked his way to mount.  From there I defended a lot and while I almost escaped a few times it never happened and eventually he grinded me out to get an americana to armbar.  So the couple of takeaways are I have to figure out contingencies when I have the half back mount in turtle and what to do when my underhook is pinned in half guard.

Bauer: We didn't roll but he worked with me on a side control escape that he's been experimenting with.  I also showed him the elbow push and how I deal with the crossface from the bottom.  He seemed to appreciate it.  We talked about our games and he really wants to focus on drilling the techniques for the blue belt test.

No comments:

Post a Comment