Monday, February 25, 2013

February 24th - I missed you

After 2 weeks of inactivity from knee recovery and being sick I finally made it back to class. It was a great class with quite a few people.  Conan's theme was sweeps starting from closed guard using an underhook or an overhook to make an armbar.  I liked the progression that we went through as it was a good way to teach a rather complicated subject as we had to use the opponents momentum to sweep them.  After drilling several different ways to accomplish this sweep we did some training with a little resistance but still eventually letting the person complete the sweep. 

We broke for open mat and it felt really good to roll again.  I rolled with Tate first and he submitted me 3 + times.  I was impressed as he was pretty fluid yesterday, I think he's getting ready for an upcoming fight.  I rolled with Wes next and he also gave me a little trouble.  It's always cool to see someone improve, plus it keeps me on my toes as I've got to keep training and improving so the guys less experienced than me don't catch up.  I say this light-heartedly as it's supposed to be more about my personal improvement rather than a competition with everyone else, but the in-house competition is a factor.  Jerad demolished me next, I didn't have any real defense and he passed my butterfly guard with the same pass 3 times.  I defended the best that I could, but I couldn't get off of my back.  He eventually got me with an Americana from mount.

I'm scheduling an appointment to go back to the orthopedist and get my knee checked out again.  I've been biking and lifting a bit at the Y and I bought a foam roller today for home use.  These things have been helping but it still feels injury prone so maybe the doctor's opinion has changed since I haven't completely healed yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment