Saturday, November 8, 2014

November 8th 2014 - Tinguinha Seminar

Had a great couple days of Jiu-Jitsu starting with no-gi class last night taught by Tinguinha and a gi seminar today.  Here is a link to last year's seminar post if you're interested: July 27th 2013 - Seminar / Promotion (The Dexterous Dozen).  There were a lot more new faces in the group picture this time! 

Great turnout for our growing LBJJC family
There was a lot of good information given starting with passing the open guard, followed by some open guard techniques and finally a few submissions from side control.  I used a note taking program on my phone to jot everything down which turned out to be better than bringing a notebook like I had meant to do.  If anyone was paying better attention than I and you see that I missed some please let me know.  Here's the list of techniques:

Guard Passing
  • Butterfly Reach over underhook, grab the belt post leg, knee and hip switch to side control
  • Same as previous bottom foot traps leg, move around their knee, move their wrist up, crossface and step to mount
  • Attempted Hook Sweep, Post foot and head to floor, switch hips and jump to other side
    • Had some trouble with the timing of this one, I got it a few times, but it was difficult
  • Single Under arm position with their hips off the floor, grab leg over head and head weaves to leg drag position, shut down hips collar control smash to side control
  • From a distance reach and grab belt and top of the foot circular standing pass to north/south postion
    • This was pretty cool and something I may follow up on, if only I had longer arms
  • Same as above but their foot is in the hip, push their leg down with hand not on belt and move to north/south
  • Same as previous but opponent does Lasso not completely locked in, walk to the side of the arm that is lassoed, put shin pressure on ribs and grab belt, pry the elbow loose.
  • Same as previous but locks Lasso in, walk to other side push leg down and staple, push knee down and use your chest for pressure and get them flat on their back in side control.
Open Guard
  • Lasso sweep using outside pant grip, free leg moves across.
    • This lasso stuff was great as I've been experimenting with it lately, I'll take it as a sign to continue working with it.
  • Lasso sweep opponent posts leg up, hook free leg under their leg to sweep.
  • Lasso opponent posts other leg. Lasso foot moved under opposite armpit free leg goes to the ground and helps shrimp, then hook sweep.
    • I wish I could have made this look as good a Tinguinha was doing it.
  • Lasso opponent hunkers back to pass, move to turtle and front roll into omoplata
    • I shouted "Yes!" when he showed this technique
  • Lasso opponent stands, inside cross pant grip, free leg goes on opposite side of opponent's body for sweep
Side Control Submissions
  • Side control pull gi skirt out and bring across neck, cross face arm grabs gi, switch to other side and choke
  • Upside down collar grip and knee on belly, opponent escapes KOB, switch sides and grab other side of baseball bat choke.
    • I meant to ask Greg if he knew about this before the seminar as this is some dangerous stuff for my white belt rolling partners of the future.
During the drilling portion I had an on and off headache that I attributed to forgetting my morning coffee.  I might have been a little dehydrated from the night before also.  I think the mixture of beginner and advanced techniques and concepts was perfect for the crowd.  That's probably a difficult part of planning a seminar for a diversely skilled crowd.  The quarters were a little cramped and 3 hours is a long time.  Craig and I kept a pretty good pace throughout and I think we got in sufficient reps on everything.  

Close to the end I saw an opportunity and asked Tinguinha to critique my cross guard.  I showed him the basic omoplata, the armbar, and the omoplata sweep.  He seemed to be happy with it and asked me if it worked for me during rolling and said that was the most important thing.  I showed him what I was doing from standing to pull the cross guard and he liked it although it was a little different than what he showed in the video.  The one major compliment he gave was on me getting my hips up high which was a common mistake.  I'm glad I took the opportunity!

After the seminar we had stripe and belt promotions.  My sons, Jayden and Jace, excitedly received their grey and white belts.  I'm very proud of them.  I received a second stripe on my blue belt, while Jerad and Mike received their third.  Brian AF moved up to blue belt (I had been his partner for testing the night before), he is the first blue belt under Greg to do all of his Jiu-Jitsu training at LBJJC.  Conan dawned a purple belt and the school went crazy.  Finally Tinguinha gave Greg his first degree stripe and certificate. 


Conan: First LBJJC Purple Belt


No comments:

Post a Comment