Monday, July 29, 2013

July 27th 2013 - Seminar / Promotion (The Dexterous Dozen)

Tinguinha's Spider Guard
There is so much I could put into this post so I apologize if this is too long.  I'll start off by saying my expectations for the day were exceeded and there was so much new information disseminated that I would be grateful to retain a quarter of it.  I was also happy that two of my Hapkido training partners, Craig and Kori, were able to attend.  I've included all of the techniques I can remember in lists at the bottom of this post as well as some pictures from the day.

Craig was my partner for the first class and throughout the day.  We kept a pretty steady pace throughout, and now that I've looked at the list of techniques I'm sure we got our money's worth of information.  It's very important now that I pick a few of these things to focus on and add to my repertoire while they're still fresh. A couple things that really stick out from the first seminar was using a rear hand on the ground to help hip out from butterfly guard and that I have a new omaplata to add to my game from the spider guard.

As I suspected, Tinguinha is a great instructor. He's obviously speaking from experience and he seemed to cover any questions that I would have before I could ask them.  We started out doing some basic easy things but it got very complicated at times.  He'd show us a technique multiple times and he and Greg would walk around and help or let groups know they were doing a good job.

Directly following the seminar we gathered for the belt promotion.  Greg gave out some stripes first; 2 for little Jared and bald Brian and 1 for Air Force Brian.  Then they promoted the 12 of us that tested to blue belt in the order that we tested.  He mentioned that several of us wouldn't be at this rank for too long (probably not referring to me) and purple was just around the corner.  Conan was also awarded 2 or 3 stripes on his blue belt.  It was a very cool moment.

The no-gi seminar was a little smaller.  Most of the out of towners had to leave for the day.  This is the session that I was looking forward to, because no-gi guard passing is something that I don't have a good gameplan for.  I was not disappointed.  Right off the bat he showed us the guard break by shooting our hands under their thighs, it's revolutionary (to me anyway).  Then he also showed us the hip switch pass that Greg seems to do to me at will.  I had some issues with it at first but once I figured out what to do with their knee it became easy.  There was even the no-gi clock choke that I've never seen before.  I couldn't have asked for a better session. 

Morning Gi Open Guard:
Butterfly guard
Distance drill
Inverted drill to regain Butterfly Guard
Torreando pass hip escape to regain butterfly guard 
Collar Drag
Loop Choke
Leg up Ankle pick to knee slide
Other leg up scoot in and hook sweep

Spider Guard
Kick out, bring foot to opposite hip, underhook knee
Combat base situp grab sleeve kick out knee grab over shoulder roll them into side control
Combat base situp Grab sleeve they stand up under leg standup single leg knee bar thing
From kneeling kick out secure wrist to hip omaplata
Opponent standing, Foot on hip grab ankle pant grip push and pull over body.


Afternoon No-Gi Guard Passing and top game
Closed guard, basic guard break with the addition of putting both hands in opening to break 
Double Under Pass
Single under to big circle around their arms
Jump over to pass.

They're Sitting, guard passer is standing
Standing grab ankles and swing them up go to double unders.
Standing to knee slide pass using underhook
They grab leg kimura grip step back and around to back, kick out of half guard or kimura

De La Riva
Grab ankle elbow to floor, roll into side control.
Grab toehold leg drag, knee down, crossface

Butterfly
They have Over/Under hooks, spread out, lean to overhook side, bring leg up into knee slide pass.
They have double unders, spread out and flatten them to their back, hip switch

Top Turtle
Get head lock grabbing far shoulder, switch to other side, lock up with bicep, No-Gi clock choke.

Top side control
They use underhook to bridge singe-leg to escape side control.  Sprawl and push head down step to the side, Omaplata

Vicious Loop Choke

My Spider Guard






2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this! You're so much more detailed than I am. So, when I can return to Hapkido (and grappling, by the way) I look forward to learning all of this (again, 'cause I don't think I retained as much as you did!) I love that picture of you and Craig with the choke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. im glad i read this since my memory is terrible thank you for the list

    ReplyDelete