Saturday, July 20, 2013

July 20th - Open Mat (Testing Prep)

There were a lot of students in attendance yesterday to prepare for next week, but I only ended up rolling with Ray, Jerad, and Mike.  Also in attendance were Greg, Will, Bauer, Adam, Brian, and Fuji. I went back and forth between discussing the testing material and grappling.  I think I have a handle on everything that is on the testing paper now and can do them with some relative proficiency. 

I went with Jerad first.  Started off well with passing his guard right away but all it took was one mistake and I was on the bottom.  Not sure what that mistake was but I spent the rest of the fight in side control.  With a little more scrambling I was tapping to a reverse arm triangle choke.  Then Jerad and I wondered over and talked

Ray also played possum a bit at first and allowed me to take a good position and even attempt some submissions.  I avoided his deep half as much as I could but eventually he wiggled himself there.  After some defense in side control he was able to tap me with a kimura and pull it away from my body.  I tapped maybe a little prematurely because he told me he didn't have it completely locked up.  Ray also was a huge help with some pointers on osoto gari.  This was huge because I think I finally understand how it works. 

Mike and I trained no-gi and we had quite a few good battles.  We spent some time in 50/50 as I did my best to defend and also attack ankle locks.  I'm still pretty clueless in this position, but I felt like I did better than usual.  I attempted a guillotine and had a good north/south choke for a little bit too but couldn't finish them.  He got me a few times with a kimura and a pretty good inverted triangle that he pushed my neck into with a straight choke.  It's hard to describe but it was genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment