Friday, July 12, 2013

July 11th 2013 - No Gi

It was good to have Conan teach again.  With his change in work schedule he hasn't been around much lately. Will was also in attendance for the beginner class.  He had been recovering from the same surgery as me.  I can relate to him saying that he felt out of shape coming back.

After the warm-up we worked on the hip heist sweep from guard.  I partnered up with Mike and Bauer.  From there we did some kimura set-ups.  Most of it was stuff that I have practiced before, but the new thing I learned was grapevining their leg and lift to bust their defense to the kimura.  That was truly awesome.  I also worked with using the shin on the bicep and then kicking it through helps create the space to get the kimura arm position.

We trained from side mount with 6 minute rounds and then switch top and bottom.  Mike did a great job attacking and defending.  Later he told me that I'm not shrimping enough which he has told me before but I guess I'm not listening.  I do a good job of turning on my side but I'm not making enough space.  Just another thing to add on the list of things to work on. I set up a nice guillotine choke from side mount but wasn't able to finish it

We did king of the mat and in no-gi everyone was slippery, it was difficult to complete any submissions.  I had tough matches against both Conan and Bauer.  Once again I did well until I got put into side control.  If I can figure out how to stay out of that position, I'll be unstoppable (or get submitted from mount and back mount instead).

Mike and I went over some pointers after class on the guillotine.  Mostly on where to put my wrist and how to use the elbow of my other arm to lock it in tighter.  We also ran through the Ryan Hall back take that he got me with during training. 

After everyone left, Conan and I had a little conversation about the new school and the history of Jiu-Jitsu at Roseberry's while mopping the mats.  It was a nice little chat and I have even more respect for what he went through keeping the Jiu-Jitsu program going.  He revealed that he's so excited to have a teacher again.  And, he's happy that all of the students transitioned to Greg as their instructor and the start of the school has been going so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment