Saturday, July 6, 2013

July 6th 2013 - Open Mat

I succeeded in rolling with everyone this morning.  We had a visiting purple belt, Eric from Colorado, that was in town for the holiday and found our school.  Seemed like a very laid back, cool guy as well as skillful.  Also in attendance were Jerad, Fuji, Mike, Bauer, and Brian. 

I had a lot of trouble from bottom side control and knee on belly today.  I rarely escaped.  So I need to work harder to get to sweep and pass guard and stay off of the bottom.

After I rolled with Mike a couple of times we did some spider guard drills and he gave me some pointers.  I've been avoiding spider guard since my injury so I'm a little bit behind everyone else that has been working on it.  It was quite informative and made me want to focus on the position for a while.

I rolled with Eric last and it was actually fun and informative.  He took it easy on me.  I was able to do some deep half guard to prevent his mount once and tried to attack the back.  The second time I tried deep half he caught me with a kimura on my inside arm.  Need to focus on burying that.  After he beat me a couple times we discussed the cross grab guard to omaplata sweep that I saw him do to Bauer.  I got some major pointers on this that will help me immensely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment