Wednesday, July 17, 2013

July 16th 2013 - Gi (Get back in the Pool)

We had a visiting blue belt last night from Oklahoma. I think his name was Shane, but I could be wrong.  We also had a returning student, Ben, from a while back. 

We worked on the scissor sweep and a couple things to do if the sweep was prevented.  I worked with Jerad and Mohammad.  I'm not very successful with the scissor sweep anymore.  It used to be one of my go to sweeps but I've gotten smashed and passed or stuck too many times using it.  Plus it depends on a deep knee bend.  Didn't have any problems with the sweep yesterday.  But did have a little bit of an issue with the elevator sweep that we did as a counter to the defense.  Me and Jerad figured it out in the end.

We trained up/down/out passing from the closed guard.  Had some success and also got passed a couple of times.  Like usual it was hot and I tried my best to keep it together but had a little trouble a few times mustering up the energy.  During regular rolling I went up against Mohammad which allowed me to work on technique and not worry too much.  He didn't have a gi though which made engaging with him a little difficult at first. 

Lately I feel pretty drained by the time we get to training and free rolling.  I hate that feeling of not being able to perform as well as I can when I'm winded or get a side stitch.  I especially hate when I feel okay with letting someone pass my guard just get my turn over with.  It doesn't happen often but I'm ashamed to admit that it does happen.  I need to figure out

I got back in the pool during lunch today and had a nice workout.  I didn't swim during bachweek due to it being tough enough to complete all of those classes and I haven't swam since.  Hopefully this will get my cardio back on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment