Friday, July 5, 2013

July 3rd - Gi

Since there will be no class on the 4th of July I was fortunate  enough to get to attend the beginner class tonight.  I arrived a little early and they were preparing Robert for an MMA fight by having him roll with everyone with 4 minute rounds starting from bottom guard.  He would then attempt to get back to his feet, improve position or submit.  Greg allowed me to join in and take a round.  I was put on top in butterfly guard and was able to pass a few times and Robert was able to get up a few times.  He mentioned that I was able to put a lot of pressure on him mostly because I weigh a lot more than the other guys that he went against.

Beginner class started and after the warm-up we focused on upa from mount if the top person puts their arm around your neck.  There were a few new people in class, Henry who has trained no-gi for a while, and Muhammad who was there for his first class.  I worked with both of them a little bit.  Also, Fuji, Jerad, and the roommates were in attendance as well.  I ended up working with Muhammad and helped him out as much as I could.  We switched to the americana or what Greg referred to as the paint brush from mount.  It took a while to get Muhammad to get all of the steps down but he eventually got it.

We then trained from the mount and I ended up in a 3 person group with Jerad and Fuji and we ran it in up/down/out style.  I could not get Fuji off of me and I had a rough time defending his mount.  One of the worst things I had to defend was his Ezekiel choke where he kept trying to jab his fist/fingers into the side of my neck.  He eventually submitted me.  Both Jerad and Fuji were able to escape my mount, but all was not completely lost as I was able to gain guard from Jerad.  I also got to watch how Jerad escaped Fuji's mount which is something I've been trying to pay more attention to, what the smaller guys do against the bigger guys.  Don't know if I gleaned anything from this time, but I'll keep an eye out.

New Jerad was nice enough to roll with me after class, since I'm not used to only doing an hour of Jiu-Jitsu and then leaving.  We had a pretty good roll.  I almost completed a Shaolin sweep except I got stopped by the wall.  There was a point when I was on top in half guard and the other Jerad told me to put a knee on his hip which helped break his guard.  Jerad then showed us a few more tricks to that.  I then rushed out of there so I could do some fireworks with my kids before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment