Monday, July 1, 2013

June 29th 2013 - Open Mat

Once again I forgot to write this sooner, so I've forgotten a lot of things. 
Participants: Jerad, Fuji, Bauer, Conan, Greg, Brian, Jordan (wrestler).  For some reason Conan and Bauer eluded me but I ended up working with everyone else.  I can't even remember if I rolled with Jerad.

Fuji: I have been doing better against Fuji when I'm on top.  But, once I'm on the bottom I haven't been able to get back up.  He's getting pretty good at setting up chokes from the collar, I'm going to have to figure some way to get out of his side mount.

Jerad: Don't remember much about our roll except I'm sure he kicked my butt pretty good.  In fact I'm starting to question if we did roll.


Brian and Jordan: I was very impressed with Brian's improvement and I had to take him a little more seriously than I expected.  My focus with both of them was sweeps or taking a submission from guard if it arose.  While I had several triangle and armbar attempts I wasn't able to finish them, they often turned into omaplata sweeps or I would regain guard.  The other sweep that presented itself was the pendulum which I love completing.  Otherwise it was of day the north-south choke.  I was able to secure it on both of them a few times and then showed them the common defenses against it.

Greg:  He submitted me fairly quickly in our first match.  As usual I feel like an inexperienced newbie when it comes to some of the things he's doing.  I lucked out at one point and escaped his back mount resulting in a scramble to where I grabbed his belt and followed him into turtle.  I tried my best to take his back but ended up falling off to the side.  We discussed defending spider guard a little and I still don't think I get how to get the basics of defending against it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment