Wednesday, July 24, 2013

July 23rd 2013 - Gi

Greg was answering testing questions and demonstrating any techniques that people asked about.  So the class was a little disjointed but it had a higher purpose.  After the warm-up we worked on the judo turnover from turtle.  Adam was my partner and we got quite a few reps in.  We also skipped ahead and did some back-takes from the same position.

Next I had requested the scarf-hold or headlock self defense technique of wrapping the leg to escape.  This actually turned out well since there were some details that I was missing.  The beginning part is the same from all of the headlock defenses in that we grab our hands and use a leg swing to get our elbow to the floor.  From there the three different defenses take place.  We worked on throwing our leg over and getting to all fours and cross facing until we could take the back.  It was different than what I had in my head so I'm happy with the clarification.  We also reviewed the standing guillotine defense and I asked about arm position for the armbar from guard which gave me some food for thought.

We broke for king of the mat with 4 different groups.  I had a nice run as king of my area until Mike came and dethroned me.  Before that I hit a couple omaplata sweeps and a hip heist.  I had some good battles with Adam, Chris, and the 2 Jerads as well and was able to become king again for a short while.  I love that we have air conditioning now.  It seems that the months without have conditioned me pretty well.  I still got a little winded a couple of times but I always felt ready to go and even cut in line a couple of times because people weren't moving up.

After class I got all paid up for the seminar and testing and we talked a bit about upcoming kids classes.  I'm really excited to get my boys involved with BJJ.  I hope they like it.  I've been so wary about pushing them into martial arts.  I want them to choose it on their own instead of me making them do it.  I just need to purchase a second kids gi and they'll be all set.  We also talked about lunch time and/or morning class which I'm excited about.  I just need to work out someway to take a shower before returning to work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment